FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C300 Footage to XDCAM Disc

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Acampora
Canon C300 Footage to XDCAM Disc
on Mar 31, 2013 at 11:48:37 pm

So I'm shooting and pre-editing for a show that is locked into an XDCAM workflow. Post wants everything delivered on XDCAM disk. Our primary cameras are F800's, so this isn't much of a problem.

The issue arises when I come in. I'm shooting on Canon C300 and time lapse with 5D3 and After Effects.

My question is then, is there an easy way to transfer C300 footage and After Effects sequences to XDCAM without having to go through FCP? My current workflow for C300 is:

• Shoot to CF Cards

• Log & Transfer into FCP as ProRes

• Export using XDCAM Browser and PDW-U1 drives

• Ideally I'm looking for a hardware solution that I can rent that will allow me to record directly to XDCAM, whether that be optical disc (preferable) or SxS cards, as we have a deck that will transfer the SxS cards to Optical Disc, and we have plenty of SxS cards on hand (as well as an unlimited supply of discs).

Would something like an SR recorder get me in the ballpark? I'd like to avoid having to use a computer altogether, and do all of this transferring in the field.

Also, what kind of hardware would I need to pump out After Effects compositions directly to disc? I hate having to export to ProRes, ingest into FCP, then re-export via XDCAM browser. Hopefully there is an on-board recorder that I can hang off the C300 while shooting with that, and then just plug it into the computer through a BlackMagic box or something to output the time lapses.

Hopefully I'm in the right ballpark and there is something to make my life easier. As it stands, I spend more time pre-editing than I do shooting, and I want to be doing the opposite.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
    Re: Canon C300 Footage to XDCAM Disc
    on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:38:18 pm

After Effects or Premiere can export Op1A XDCAM files. Look for 'MXF Op1A' in the export templates.

You could use a Nanoflash (records XDCAM files with optional .mxf wrapper) or a portable XDCAM optical deck like the PDW-HR1. You could also use a PMW-50, which records XDCAM optical files (50 Mb 422 etc) to UDF-formatted SxS cards. The files can be dragged right to optical without transcode.

Return to posts index

Dale West
    on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:23:39 pm

I have a similar situation. I use an F3 and they want the material on disk. I record to a NanoFlash Long gop 422/50. I have a U1 and take the compact flash from the nano, open the clps then drag the .mxf files into the clips folder on the U1. I've found that I can put 10 clips on a red disk. Just do a little math and testing to determine the number you can use on a blue disk. I am a little twisted so I always check the disk on my 800 after the file transfer is done. I'm sure others have variations on the theme but it has been working very well for me. If Sony only made a thunderbolt "U" device and the write speed were a little faster.... But this allows me to give the client what they want

Dale West Video
    North Miami, FL
    305-588-2683
    dale@dalewestvideo.tv

Return to posts index

David Acampora
    on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18:08 pm

We use this deck when we shoot F3. We're able to shoot direct to SxS cards and then automatically transfer it to disc. We just have to make sure to use 16gb cards, because anything bigger won't fit on a blue disc.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/cat-videorecorders/product-PDWHR1%...

This doesn't apply if you need to use the Nanoflash, though. I'm looking for an option that will allow me to transfer CF card footage originating on the Nanoflash and/or Canon C300 and go direct to disc without using a computer.

If there was an outboard recorder that wrote XDCAM HD422 files to SxS cards then I'd be in business, but for now the Nanoflash drag-and-drop method seems to be best.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
    on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:06:07 pm

JFYI you can use the new PMW-50 portable deck/reader to record 50 Mb 422 directly to UDF-formatted cards

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-nab2013/mkt-nab2013xdcam/product-PMW50/

Return to posts index

David Acampora
    on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:12:58 pm

I am aware of the PMW50, but it seems a bit bulky. Is it something I could feasibly hang off the back of a C300 and power off a D-Tap cable? I'm doing mostly handheld run-and-gun reality.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
    on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:18:49 pm

no, probably too big for that, but possibly an option for less run-and-gun style shooting. it could easily be rigged to fit on a tripod or even a belt/backpack. has center-pos 12v power supply (similar to other EX models and PDW-U1 drive) but also takes BPU batteries and can go 540 mins with a BPU-90

Return to posts index

David Acampora
    on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:22:24 pm

What is the max frame rate on the PDW50? I've been shooting 720p60 on C300 and up-res-ing before sending to post. If I pump 720p60 out of the SDI, is the PDW smart enough to scale it to 1080p60 in real time?

Alternatively, will it conform the overcrank to 24p or will the 60p stream still have to be conformed in post?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
    on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:25:11 pm

no 1080/60p upscaling on output, though it will do 720/59.94p recording

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]