FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to view XDCAM HD422 MXF files on PC?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Anderegg
How to view XDCAM HD422 MXF files on PC?
on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:08:01 pm

I shoot DVCPRO50 480/30p, and need a single file format to archive my P2 footage. I have been using 720/30p 15Mbps AVC/MP4 files for this purpose, but wanted to retain as much of the original 4:2:2 quality as possible while still satisfying the fact that everything eventually airs in HD. I have decided on rendering out XDCAM HD422 1080/60i 50Mbps files for archiving, and although they can be edited and viewed in Sony Vegas just fine, I have no reliable way to play back the raw MXF files on my PC. I have VLC, and the video looks gorgeous uprezed, but the audio either plays at 4X speed, or simply stops after a few seconds, and if I click the timeline more than once, VLC crashes.

For purposes of simply viewing the files, what is the best option? It is important I be able to check the full screen quality of these files before sending them off to a client using something other than the small preview window in Vegas. The external preview monitor out route with Vegas won't work for me, because Vegas video doesn't look the same previewed as rendered......I have to add a few stops of gamma to get anything coming out of it to not be black!

Paul

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: How to view XDCAM HD422 MXF files on PC?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:34:57 pm

On the PC the best option is the MXF viewer. it's legacy software but still supported through Windows 7. http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads under 'Applications...'-->Legacy Applications. plays back any XDCAM MXF, high res or proxy.

Content Browser, the all-in-one XDCAM application, can also play them back. If they are on a disc or disc archive you navigate to the source in the application's media browser. If they are loose files without the original metadata, you can use the Open Media File command to play back any 'orphaned'/a la carte Sony XDCAM .mxf files. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/campaign/contentbrowser

Return to posts index

Paul Anderegg
Re: How to view XDCAM HD422 MXF files on PC?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 8:23:59 pm

Works perfect.....not on Win8, but 7 is flawless! Thank you!

It also plays back much cleaner than VLC......this helps me very much.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]