FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Great Advice for FCP Workflow for XDCAM HD discs

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Vincent
Need Great Advice for FCP Workflow for XDCAM HD discs
on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:21:44 am

accidently put this in the ex forum so ill repost it here:

We are doing a new show and will be using 3 Sony PDW700 cameras. there will be 10 episodes at 1 hr blocks so there will be a lot of media. We will be using the 23gb sony discs for the cameras. Now typically we would do most of our shows with panasonic cameras recording on dvcpro-hd 66 tapes, importing them though the decks SD-SDI port, capturing them as dv-ntsc and then when the cut is ready for air prep we uprez with the tapes and deck to its original format 1080_60i. this is a good space saver

now i havent used xdcam hd for anything big like this so I come to you guys to ask what is the best workflow using fcp for broadcast. I don't want to use uber amounts of space but we do have an xsan with 15tb of free storage. typically our editors work in a low rez(dv-ntsc) sequence with the dv-ntsc clips because it is easier and less stress.

What is the best fcp7 workflow for broadcast using these cameras/format?

many thanks

J

ps- if this helps we will probably be shooting on probably somewhere around 250-300 pieces of 23gb sony disc stock

40tb Xsan

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Need Great Advice for FCP Workflow for XDCAM HD discs
on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:49:06 pm

File based ingest of the material is really the way to go. You can use XDCAM Transfer or Content Browser to log and ingest the clips (these plug-in utilities rewrap the mpeg-2 .mxfs as QuickTime .mov files without a transcode). The camera records its own Proxy but FCP does not support an offline/online Proxy-to-High-Res workflow the way Avid and other NLEs do. You could use Compressor to generate your own low-res proxies but you may find that you don't need them and that it's easier to work with the high-res files.

Return to posts index

James Vincent
on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:27:45 pm

well i know the xdcam disc deck ( PDW-HD1500) has hd-sdi outs and sd-sdi out. does that mean i can use it typically like the dvcprohd decks and capture the discs realtime through the aja card via sd-sdi then when it is time to uprez do the prep work and load the discs and recapture through the hd-sdi port on the deck?

or is there a major complication doing it this way?

-james

40tb Xsan

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:29:07 pm

again, i still think file-based is the way to go but sure, it works like a tape machine in this regard, capture to whatever resolution you want and then conform/up-rez/online later.

Return to posts index

James Vincent
on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:32:49 pm

Oh I vote digital ingestion too but i fear space is an issue with 15tb of free space and shooting at least 250+ pieces of 23gb stock

40tb Xsan

Return to posts index

Dow Haynor
on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:50:32 am

Ian
You say you can capture in any resolution using the XDCAM Browser in FCP, I am not aware of that. Where can you change that setting? I would love to be able to capture a less than perfect file so it's smaller in size, so I don't have to go through the process of bringing it into FCP then putting it into Compressor so I can down rez it.

Thanks
Dow Haynor
DP

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:41:28 pm

No, I said you could shoot in any of the available resolutions then use CB to import to FCP. many of the camcorders generate their own Proxy, which can be used in Avid but not FCP. For FCP you can batch convert the rewrapped high-res .mov files to Pro Res Proxy or any other codec on the system.

Return to posts index

Fernando García
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:05:15 am

Sorry, ´cause I´m new in this kind of forums and my question may be out of sense. I use to make documentaries for the Spanish Public Television (TVE) using Sony Xdcam pro disc cameras. It was really useful and superfast the import of proxies for editing in Avid MC and, even with a large raid capacity, nice the low storage needs and speed of the editing, nice as well the fast and easy project h.q. confirming. The point is that We´ve moved, for a few reasons, to FCPX, and yet I have not find the proper workflow way and only found xdcam ex sxs files workflow on the web . Reading this forum I assume that in FXCPX I won´t be able to take profit of the pro disc proxies, so I should invest more time and disc space in ingesting material and then creating apple proxies for a smoother editing?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:18:27 pm

FCP X does not support XDCAM Proxy but you can import the high res files and create ProRes proxy within the application if need be. To import XDCAM files from a UDF-formatted SxS card or disc archive you can use the free Sony PDZK-LT2 plugin. To import from optical disc media you can use Content Browser.

Return to posts index

Fernando García
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:44:02 am

Thanks for your fast response. That was what I was afraid about. In Avid MC the ingest was so fast and the spent of disc memory was irrelevant. I'm freaking about ingesting 45 or 50 27gb sony ProDisc for my next work... That is a disadvantage of FCPX compared to Avid MC I couldn't imagine "a priori" from the apple label. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]