FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxies, PDZ-1 & XDCAM Browser

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Crane
Proxies, PDZ-1 & XDCAM Browser
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:56:47 pm

We've suddenly started getting errors reading index.xml from our XDCAM disks on Windows 7 PCs with PDZ-1. First one PC gave us errors, now a second. I understand that PDZ-1 software is outdated (or hasn't been updated in quite a while), but I've never been able to figure out how to work with proxy files from XDCAM disks in XDCAM Browser, which I understand replaced PDZ-1. When I try to import proxies in XDCAM browser, the software can't even locate them.

I'm sure I'm missing something important here; is XDCAM Browser only for EX cameras? Can I work with proxies in anything besides PDZ-1?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Proxies, PDZ-1 & XDCAM Browser
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:59:40 pm

Browser can take the proxies but they must be on a disc or part of an intact disc archive, i.e. a folder which contains all the files/folders from the disc. Browser can create these archives or you can create them manually by simply copying everything you see on the root of the disc to a new folder. Navigate to that folder in one of Browser's Explorer windows and you will see the Proxies.

Also, if you record or copy Proxy directly to a USB thumb drive from a PDW camcorder you can insert the USB drive and it will more the same way. It will get its own drive entry in the Navigation tree and when you click on it you'll see the Proxies.

The only thing you can't currently do is present Browser with an a la carte 'SUB' folder containing proxies. It won't see the Proxies unless they are on a disc or disc archive/image.

Return to posts index

Kevin Crane
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:16:49 pm

Ian - Thanks very much for the speedy reply. I sincerely appreciate your help on this. I need some further clarification on some of your points, if you don't mind:

"Browser can take the proxies but they must be on a disc..." - but not on the original XDCAM disk, because XDCAM Browser v1.2 for Windows cannot see the proxy MXF files.

"...you can create them manually by simply copying everything you see on the root of the disc to a new folder..." - but copying the SUB folder OR copying the proxy MXF files from the SUB folder to a USB drive or DVD disk doesn't seem to work, saying the MXF proxy files are in an "unsupported format." When I copy everything I see on the root of a disk to a Blu-Ray archive disk, XDCAM Browser can see the XDCAM media, but still not the proxies. Am I misunderstanding your instructions?

"Navigate to that folder in one of Browser's Explorer windows and you will see the Proxies." - So I haven't tried copying the entire 23 GB XDCAM disk to a folder on my hard drive yet. Frankly, that seems excessive to have to copy all the media just to view the tiny proxy media. Isn't that the idea of proxy files? That you can view them instead of having to deal with the original media?

"Also, if you record or copy Proxy directly to a USB thumb drive from a PDW camcorder you can insert the USB drive and it will more the same way." As above, but not if you copy directly from the XDCAM disk to a USB drive. Odd.

"The only thing you can't currently do is present Browser with an a la carte 'SUB' folder containing proxies" - Sorry, but this one made me laugh out loud, since that's PRECISELY where SONY puts the proxy files on the XDCAM disk.

Again, I really appreciate your help on this. We work with proxy files every day, having fully embraced SONY's workflow, but that seems to be becoming harder and harder to do with the current software. PDZ-1 worked great; is it no longer being supported by SONY on Windows 7?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:34:11 pm

...but not on the original XDCAM disk, because XDCAM Browser v1.2 for Windows cannot see the proxy MXF files.

-Please use XDCAM Browser 2.6 or Content Browser 1.1. CB replaces XDCAM Browser and can be found here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/contentbrowser1

Proxies on the disc or disc image are supported. If this isn't working with the above versions we have a bigger problem. Also be sure to set the PLAY tab in the preferences to Proxy.

...copying the SUB folder OR copying the proxy MXF files from the SUB folder to a USB drive or DVD disk doesn't seem to work, saying the MXF proxy files are in an 'unsupported format.' When I copy everything I see on the root of a disk to a Blu-Ray archive disk, XDCAM Browser can see the XDCAM media, but still not the proxies. Am I misunderstanding your instructions?

-You need to copy EVERYTHING, as I mentioned earlier, NOT just the a la carte SUB folder. Remember, you are creating a virtual disc image. Then you click on it in the tree. You only use the IMPORT function on hi res .mxf or .mp4 files

So I haven't tried copying the entire 23 GB XDCAM disk to a folder on my hard drive yet. Frankly, that seems excessive to have to copy all the media just to view the tiny proxy media. Isn't that the idea of proxy files? That you can view them instead of having to deal with the original media?

-This was just an example of a use case where one would see Proxy as part of a disc or disc archive. The proper workflow is to point Browser to the disc and use the 'Copy to Offline Media' command (similar to the 'Read Files From ProDisc' command in the older PDZ-1 software). This will create a virtual disc image with jus proxy and no hi-res. You can then log/update the clips and then later write all the new metadata back to the disc. The point is you have to start with the original disc or disc image. If all you have to start with is an orphaned SUB folder, you will not see the proxies.

"Also, if you record or copy Proxy directly to a USB thumb drive from a PDW camcorder you can insert the USB drive and it will more the same way." As above, but not if you copy directly from the XDCAM disk to a USB drive. Odd.

--again, this issue is that the files/folders need to be in the correct structure. A standalone SUB folder won't load.

"The only thing you can't currently do is present Browser with an a la carte 'SUB' folder containing proxies" - Sorry, but this one made me laugh out loud, since that's PRECISELY where SONY puts the proxy files on the XDCAM disk.

--Sorry if it's not working the way you'd like, but we currently need the additional metadata.

PDZ-1 worked great; is it no longer being supported by SONY on Windows 7?

--- See above, the same workflow is available with Content Browser and the 'Offline Media' workflow. PDZ is supported through W7 but is discontinued. I may be able to help troubleshoot but we really need to get you over to the new application as there will be no further development on PDZ.

--If you want to talk offline feel free to email me at IAN dot COOK at AM dot SONY dot COM. Having to detail all this in writing makes it seem a lot more complex than it really is.

Return to posts index

Kevin Crane
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:17:58 pm

Just to finish off this thread, Ian helped us isolate Symantec Endpoint Protection as the source of the problem. A recent update to Endpoint on our systems now blocks Content Browser, XDCAM Browser and PDZ-1 from seeing MXF proxy files on our XDCAM disks. Switching our logging computers to MS Essentials got us working again, though we cannot do that throughout the plant. We are currently looking into other solutions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]