FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy file between disks

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Copy file between disks
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:36:49 pm

We would like to transfer a clip from one disk to another via ftp. We're using Macintosh computers running Lion, OS 10.7.5. In the past, we've copied clips from one disk to another by copying the .mxf file from one clip folder to the other. So, we copied a .mxf file off the first disk and moved it to our ftp site. When I tried to write it from the ftp site to our second disk using the finder, I get either error codes 43 or 36. I've read in this forum to use the Content Browser, but it doesn't even see the copied .mxf file. I tried importing it through the browser, but I get an error message on the clip.

Does anyone know if it's possible to copy a .mxf file from one disk to another through an ftp site?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Copy file between disks
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:40:45 pm

Yes, this is definitely possible. It's probably a setting on the target machine- file naming, record format etc. Check the File Naming menu on the target device and make sure "Naming Form" is set to "Free". Also make sure that you are not doing an illegal mix of formats/frame rates.

With the Mixed Recording function enabled, you can mix HD/SD and frame rates in the same 'frame frequency group' (30/60, 25/50). If Mixed Recording is disabled files must match the other files on the disc. Also, copied files must match the current system setting of the deck (when applicable, i.e. when using an XDCAM deck and not the U1/U2 drives).

The best way to test this is to copy to a newly formatted disc. The disc is more or less agnostic until you start writing files to it.

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:07:59 pm

Thanks, Ian. I'm still not sure what's wrong. I opened the XDCAM Drive Utility software for my U-1. Naming Form was set to free, but Prohibit mixed recording was checked. I unchecked it, but I still got the error message when I tried to copy the clip. I reformatted the disk using the Drive Utility software and tried again. Still, I'm getting the error message. I know the clip is 720P 59.94 recorded on a PDW-1500 deck at 420HQ settings. I feel like I must be missing something very simple.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:55:29 pm

I don't think this is the issue but are you sure about the rec format? 720 recording only exists in HD422. Try recording a clip on the deck, moving it to the desktop, renaming and moving it back. Does this work?

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jan 29, 2013 at 11:25:40 pm

Yes. I recorded it at 720P, HD420 HQ, plugged in firewire, moved the clip, reformatted the disk, and moved the clip back. It copied back to the disk fine.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:39:37 am

there has to be something up with the file you are trying to copy. if you want to post the XML that would help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]