FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying to PDWU2 work flow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Macdonell
Copying to PDWU2 work flow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:56:20 am

New to XDCAM PDWU2.

I have job coming up where I need to transfer a 1 hour HDCAM SR tape to a 50GB dual layer disc using the PDWU2.

The SR tape would initially be ingested into FCP 7.

Can anyone help this noob out with a description of the basic workflow and time estimation (the PDWU2 will be rented)?

Thank you.
D Macdonell

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Copying to PDWU2 work flow
on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:06:50 pm

You need to capture the file using Avid, FCP etc and then export to the U1/2. You will need the U2 driver and utility, available at http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads. You can fit 90-95 mins of HD422 50 Mb on a 50 GB disc.

If you are using FCP 7 you will also need Content Browser or XDCAM Transfer. These are also available at the above link. They add Import/Export commands and options for XDCAM files. If you let me know what editor you are using I can give you the exact steps.

Return to posts index

Don Macdonell
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:58:41 pm

Thanks for the response, Ian.

When you say editor are you referring to NLE system I'm using? If so, I'm using FCP 7.

I'm now downloading the driver utility and content browser.

Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:58:22 pm

Yes, that's what I meant. After you install Browser, open it once in Standalone mode (works as standalone or as a plugin) from /Applications and set the FCP preference tab (in Prefs menu) to FCP 7. The current default is FCP X. From FCP you can export to XDCAM by selecting File-->Export-->Sony Content Browser (or) Sony XDCAM. Note that files exported to disc in the 50 Mb 422 codec must have 8 channels of dual mono audio. Sequence menu-->Settings-->Audio Outputs tab..

Return to posts index

Don Macdonell
on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:07:56 pm

Thanks again Ian.

We'll be getting the unit on Friday so this is good for me to wrap my head around until it arrives.
I'm using the black magic Decklink Pro to capture the footage into FCP. I suppose I'll have to convert to XDCAM after I capture or is there a way to capture in XDCAM?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:12:37 pm

FCP can capture/encode XDCAM. You just need to create a custom preset for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]