FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG and PRO RES HD Files retaining CC to XDCAM PDW-U1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay agoglia
MPEG and PRO RES HD Files retaining CC to XDCAM PDW-U1
on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:10:53 pm

HI All,

I am wondering what is the best way for me to determine if an MXF file has closed captioning.

I am working with both HD MPEG 1080I 422 and Apple Pro Res 1080I file sources. Any input on the best method to write to XDCAM disc verifying the captioning is passed along.

thank you!!

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: MPEG and PRO RES HD Files retaining CC to XDCAM PDW-U1
on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:38:44 pm

Missed this one. Let me know if you still have questions/issues.. There are ways to look at the MXF and the disc XML files to tell if a file has captioning. You can also use Media Info. The U1 will take a file with 608/708 captions with no additional settings but you must check the "Data Item Out" option in the user settings to include the caption metadata in files copied from the U1. If this is not enabled the VANC data is stripped (or, to put it more accurately, not inserted back into the file on output)...

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:06:41 pm

HI Ian,

There are ways to look at the MXF and the disc XML files to tell if a file has captioning.

Thanks for your response. Yes can you please elaborate more on the various ways for verifying for sure that the trans-coded files (to mxf format) do indeed have the source captions.

I checked the "data item out" box previously

I am actually running some HD tests today (using FF) and would like to hear your advice as I will be writing a recap of this procedure for our ops crew.

thank you!!

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:59:15 pm

Look at the Index.xml file for the disc to which you recorded the close captioned file. Index.xml will be on the root. You'll see that each clip has an entry and each block entry will end with a line that reads RT Meta file = Filename.bim Header = NNNNNN Type = "Basic" or "S436m_anc512"

If the 'Type' reads "S436m_anc512" (as in "SMPTE 436M", which corresponds to the SMPTE spec for mapping ancillary data packets in an MXF file) the file has compliant captions. If the 'Type' reads "Basic" there are no captions.

See below example of the entry for a properly captioned HD 422 file:

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
on May 29, 2015 at 5:30:58 pm

Hey Ian,

I realized I never thanked you for this last post! lol years later, I find myself referencing this again.

Do you have any advice, tips or "gotcha's" working with the PDW-U1 with Adobe creative cloud 2014 apps, Running Mac Pro 4,1 Yosemite 10.10.3.

thanks
-Jay

Jason Agoglia

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 29, 2015 at 5:35:06 pm

Hi Jay. Make sure that when you use the U1/U2 drive the "data item out" setting in the software control panel is enabled. This is what puts captions and other VANC data in the correct part of the .mxf when copying files. Leave the 'audio data mode' set to off... this is for recording Dolby or other non-audio info to audio channels. Other than that you should be ok but do let me know if you run into any specific problems.

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
on May 29, 2015 at 11:09:49 pm

Hey Ian,

I am running an issue. I can not finalize a disc. And the only indication I can see is
The consistent error message as soon as I start a file transfer.

I've actually spoke to Seth at Sony support who has sent me an MXF file where I encounter the same thing.
This is happening on both Mac OS Yosemite and Mac OS snow leopard workstations.

Using brand new Discs. Latest versions of Drive utility and drivers. I've manually transferred files from the Desktop of both workstations and also, Used the FCP export /XD CAM browser mechanism.
All same result.

Tried different file names with no additional non text characters.

Error message reads: closing the file failed.

But then continues to transfer and completes. But can not finalize.
What can it be?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:44:08 pm

Hi Jay-- I spoke with Seth and will be in touch shortly.

Are you using Quad layer discs or Dual layer discs?

Are you using quad layer discs? You do not have to finalize dual layer discs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]