FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting PAL on a Sony PDW 800 with a 60HZ electricity supply at 50i ~ a few questions.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Cox
Shooting PAL on a Sony PDW 800 with a 60HZ electricity supply at 50i ~ a few questions.
on Sep 5, 2012 at 10:14:36 am

I'm taking a Sony PDW-F800 XDCAM to an oil rig soon. It's for UK (PAL) broadcast and we should be shooting 1080, 50mbps, 4:2:2 HD, interlaced.

The rig operates on a 60Hz electricity supply so I presume I set ECS to on at 60Hz, to compensate for any flickering with internal lights.

I'm taking some LED light panels that will probably be run on batteries.

So if I'm shooting interior with house lights and my battery run LED's will this cause me a problem?

If it's an exterior would it matter if I left ECS on at 60Hz?

If I end up having to shoot progressive at 25p I'd have the shutter set at 1/50 (180degrees), so can you then set the ECS on as well or does that override the shutter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.simoncoxcameraman.co.uk

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: Shooting PAL on a Sony PDW 800 with a 60HZ electricity supply at 50i ~ a few questions.
on Sep 12, 2012 at 11:44:38 pm

If your shooting 50i or 25p in 60 Hz environment .. just put your shutter to 1/60th.. I wouldnt use the ECS.. only for computer screens or anytime the 1/60th wont get rid of flicker.. dont think you can have ECS and shutter on at the same time anyway.. if your shooting progressive I would leave the shutter on the whole time.. as you would 1/50th.. in 50i you could turn it off in no flicker locations..

Re the LED,s.. Ive never had a problem with them in 60 Hz.. but couldt say for sure.. may depend how good your lights are..

Make sure your charger etc is 50/60Hz.. just about all of them are.. only shot once on an oil rig.. cold and all the ext seemed to covered in a fine layer of oil.. take a few pairs of gloves.. !!

Return to posts index

Simon Cox
Re: Shooting PAL on a Sony PDW 800 with a 60HZ electricity supply at 50i ~ a few questions.
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:19:04 am

Thanks Robin, we ended up shooting at 50i. I tried the ECS at 60Hz, well actually it went to about 59.98Hz and that seemed to work fine so I just left it at that. Only got your post after the shoot but I expect the 1/60th would have worked just as well. I've also been informed that LED's shouldn't experience any flickering. They didn't as far as I could see.

http://www.simoncoxcameraman.co.uk

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Sep 14, 2012 at 10:46:56 am

Ok glad if went well.. yes the LEDs off battery shouldnt flicker for sure..

Thanks

Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]