FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Browser questions

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Allison
XDCAM Browser questions
on Aug 2, 2012 at 9:06:13 pm

We are looking for a workflow for Premiere Pro and XDCAM HD optical disks. We want to be able to log the disks, pick out the best takes, make comments on separate takes, and write all of this new info back to the XDCAM disk. XDCAM Browser software works fine for this.

Now comes the part I haven't figured out yet. At this point, we then want to create a folder on our system media drive, and copy just the best takes from the XDCAM disk to this folder. It seems like we should be able to export selected clips from XDCAM Browser through Export > MXF XDCAM HD, and place these clips in the export location of our choice. However, this option is grayed out and not available in our XDCAM Browser software.

The only way I've been able to accomplish this with XDCAM Browser is to pretend that I am actually editing with Final Cut Pro, and "import" the selected clips into the media folder of my choice. However, this changes the files from .MXF to.mov, and I don't know enough about Premiere Pro to know if this really matters or not.

It is important that we log our shoots, and write this logging information back to the original XDCAM optical disks. But once we use XDCAM Browser to do this, how do we move just some selected native MXF files to a new media folder of our choice?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM Browser questions
on Aug 2, 2012 at 9:30:49 pm

The MXF export options are only for XDCAM EX; they don't work with optical XDCAM.

If I understand correctly the solution is simply to drag the select MXF files from the thumbnail area to a location (e.g. 'Desktop,' external storage etc) in the Explorer window. When you do this the MXFs are copied and placed inside an XDCAM disc image directory structure. This works like a virtual disc and can be loaded into Premiere's Media Browser.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:54:54 pm

Will Premiere import an AAF from Browser or read a story that is written back to the disc?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:13:04 pm

Yes, if you create a ClipList in Browser you can export it as an AAF (currently only a Windows-supported feature until Browser 3.0) and import this into Premiere Pro CS 5.5/6. When you import it the AAF will come in as a sequence and the subclips used in the Clip List will be automatically imported.

Return to posts index

Rasheed Ali
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:46:49 pm

On the old PDZ-1 software I was able to export a Disc Image Back-up of and XD CAM pro disc. I was able to label the resulting folder (Disc image) with the disc label as the interior folder has a unique alpha-numeric combination which is hard to identify.

Is there similar functionality in XDCAM Browser 2.1 (especially with off-line media)?

Basically I'm looking to trim/isolate clips using the offline media (mxf) and distribute it without having to send out all the offline media.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 17, 2012 at 12:02:04 am

Not quite... You can cache the proxies and metadata to a mapped location in Browser (this creates a Disc Image) and manually copy them off for playback elsewhere but the Disc Images cannot be loaded back into Browser the way we could with PDZ1. We hope to have this in a 3.x release. Browser can currently only read Disc Images created using a USB drive attached to a camcorder..

Return to posts index

marcus skogstrom
Re: XDCAM optical disc output
on Aug 23, 2012 at 5:57:30 pm

Hello Ian.
My first post here on CC... DO you know if there is way to export from Premiere Pro back to XDCam Optical Disc?? I want to be able to lay an edit back to camera via FAM connection. (Just left FCP and trying to move to PP) :)

Cheers,

marcus

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:15:11 pm

Adobe Encoder should be able to do this. Just transcode into an .MXF file, and have Encoder write back to the disk. And if that doesn't work for some reason, write the file to the desktop (or some other location), and then drag and drop into the Clip folder on the disk.

Return to posts index

marcus skogstrom
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:19:41 pm

Cool, Will try first thing tomorrow and get back with results!
Cheers,

Marcus
DP
Sweden

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:31:35 pm

yes, choose the selection for 'Op1A MXF' (it is not labeled as 'XDCAM') in the encoder settings

Return to posts index

marcus skogstrom
on Aug 25, 2012 at 6:15:06 am

It worked. I've tried this before to drop an MXF file in the Clip folder but for some reason it worked yesterday. :) one thing I had to do was to rename the MXF to the next file number on the disc, C0005 for example. It copied quickly and played out fine from the camera. Thanks a lot for the input. Now All I have to figure out is the best workflow for ingest... ;)

Return to posts index

Tim Allison
on Aug 27, 2012 at 1:28:44 pm

Whoops! I forgot about the renameing part. Those disks don't like "custom" names for some reason. Whenever you drag and drop, and it refuses to copy, eject the disk, power off and on, and try again. That usually works for me.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:06:45 pm

Check the Naming setting on the device. If it's a U1/U2 it's in the Utility app under User Settings/Naming Form. On the HD1500/F1600 decks it's menu 36.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]