FORUMS: list search recent posts

No video when logging on PDW-U1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Hood
No video when logging on PDW-U1
on Jul 11, 2012 at 3:24:00 pm

Trying to log some clips and once transferred I hear audio but the video is black. Attempted to use XDCAM transfer in our edit suites but the program immediately crashes. This only happens on 2 of our current discs, every other disc works fine. Advice?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: No video when logging on PDW-U1
on Jul 11, 2012 at 4:23:44 pm

Are you using Transfer 2.13? And FCP 7.0.3? The black video usually indicates that the codec is not present. Do you know what format the clips were shot in and of they were recorded using under/overcrank (with older versions of FCP the Overcrank footage is not supported). Also please make sure you are using USB driver 3.2 with the latest firmware on the device. If the software is up to date you may also want to try using XDCAM Browser instead of Transfer; it's a more recent program but works in much the same way.. All of the above are available at http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

Return to posts index

Kyle Hood
on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:47:17 pm

Ian, thanks for your reply. We are using PDZ-1 Sony Proxy Browsing on a PC and Transfer in our edit suites. Like I said previously, it's just 2 particular discs that we are having this issue with. All other discs are fine and all of the firmware is updated. Should I still download the codecs?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:51:36 pm

The codecs aren't downloadable, they're part of FCP, Avid etc. PDZ1 and Browser use FFMPEG and DirectX decoders.

Do these discs look ok in PDZ1? Do the proxies transfer and play?

How about in XDCAM Browser v 2.1?

Return to posts index

Kyle Hood
on Jul 11, 2012 at 8:39:18 pm

The XDCAM disc will play in the PDW player fine, except for black thumbnails. PDZ also has the black thumbnails and will not play video, only audio. After further testing, we figured out that it could be a camera related as we re-created the issue. The proxy files being created are corrupt. Agree, disagree?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40:12 pm

possible but really unlikely. do you have access to a camcorder or deck? if so, do the files play normally on the hardware?

Return to posts index

Kyle Hood
on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:00:29 pm

Thanks for your help. Problem ended up being some proxy settings on the actual camera.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:06:55 pm

Hmm.. I don't want to ruin a good thing but that's more or less impossible. There aren't really any proxy settings on the camcorders. There are settings for recording Proxy to external USB drives but no settings for the files themselves. Whatever you did, glad it worked.

Return to posts index

Kevin Crane
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:33:20 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to use XDCAM browser to copy over and view proxies from PDW-U1, but they do not show up on the disk. I find no mention of proxy files in the help section either. I'm sure I'm missing something, but what is it?

Looked at XDCAM browser (and the new ContentBrowser software) because installing PDZ-1 v2.70 on Win 7 throws error messages when trying to read our XDCAM disks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]