FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Shot Put Pro with f800

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Romanis
Using Shot Put Pro with f800
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:30:31 am

Hello all,
I have been using Shotput for several years now with all card based cameras to offload and checksum/verify to multiple HDD's at once.
But I am having some trouble with my new F800. I connect the camera via the FW800 port to my MBP 17, and see the disk load to the desktop. Yet when I try to use Shotput to offload the disk to make a BUP, shotput reports errors straight away.
Does anyone know if I'm missing something? Has anyone else tried using Shotput with XDCAM disks in this fashion before? I have searched online for information but have come up with nothing so far.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
Re: Using Shot Put Pro with f800
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:06:30 pm

Matt: We've noticed sometimes OSX doesn't properly recognize the root directory of a new hard disk. Try making a folder on the HDD and select that as the SPP output location and I think you'll be fine.

This behavior BTW seems specific to first use after formatting the drive - you'll probably be able to offload to the root with successive uses.

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:11:16 pm

BTW, never browse source or copies using Finder unless Spotlight is disabled, or SPP is finished copying. Otherwise you run the risk of Spotlight writing index files in one or both places causing the file count and sizes to become unequal which may kick out an error.

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:53:30 am

Thanks Dan,
I will try your suggestion.
I never use Spotlight for external media, and have turned off that annoying find file script in terminal.

Return to posts index

Burk Finley
on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:09:59 pm

Hey Dan,

Just saw this post. Currently on set and offloading XDCAM discs in HD422 from Sony F800 to hard drives (OWC raid and mini) with Shotput pro. Have disabled automatically saving logs and MD5 checksum files in with XDCAM file structure so it doesn't corrupt any ability for edit systems to read it.

However, when I copy across with Shotput I am not able to see what I've copied when I open Sony Content Browser, though I can see the disc just fine in Content Browser. If I used Content Browser to do the transfer (with CRC check on) it takes a long time but I can eventually see the clips.

The odd thing is that I can see all clips (transferred in Shotput or Content Browser) using XDCAM Transfer. I can also use Transfer to successfully re-wrap as QT's.

Any recommendations? I have spotlight disabled for my destination drives and don't mess with Finder until everything is copied.

Thanks,

Burk

Shotput Pro v. 5.1.0
Content Browser v 2.2

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Oct 9, 2013 at 1:35:58 pm

BTW--The latest version, v5.1.1, automatically ignores Spotlight files for you :D

Since ShotPut faithfully copies exactly the files present, it must be an issue with the Sony Browser...probably an option related to reading files from a hard disk rather than a Blu-Ray.

Many people use SPP with XDCamHD material. In fact, we even had a demo station in Sony's NAB booth doing just that.

dan

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Burk Finley
on Oct 9, 2013 at 1:54:18 pm

Thanks Dan --

I actually just re-tried to copy a test file using Finder alone, and that is recognized by Content Browser, though the SPP transfer is not.

Do you think this will cause any issues with the XDCAM copied volumes being recognized in Avid?

Thanks for the heads up on 5.1.1!

Burk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]