FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-U2 on a MacPro with a USB 3.0 card installed?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Selander
PDW-U2 on a MacPro with a USB 3.0 card installed?
on Jan 29, 2012 at 1:09:23 am

Wanting to buy a PDW USB drive to use with our Avid Media Composers on OSX/MacPro towers.

Even though the Macs don't have native USB 3 support (yet? ever?) it still seems smarter to buy the newer, faster PDW-U2.

Question 1) Am I correct in thinking the U2 will work okay, just slower, on USB 2.0 ports -- write/export included?

2) Has anyone been successful in using the U2 with a USB 3.0 card in a MacPro, read and write? Which brand card?

Many thanks.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: PDW-U2 on a MacPro with a USB 3.0 card installed?
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:38:20 pm

The U2 and driver are backwards compatible as far as USB 2.0. You should have no issues importing or exporting. Will have to check re 3.0 support using a PCI card on the Mac..

Return to posts index

Tim Selander
on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:04:12 pm

Thanks, Ian -- great to hear. Please do let me know what you find out re: a USB 3.0 PCI card in a MacPro!

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:13:52 pm

I am also looking to use a PDW-U2 with a macbookpro 17" so I have the option of using the express34 slot with a USB3 adaptor.

There seem to be at least 3 available: sonnet, Lacie, and Caldigit.

Sonnet support says:
"The Mac OS X driver for this card does not support most USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 devices. iPods and iPhones are not supported. USB 3.0 hubs are not supported. Non-storage devices are not supported"
I have heard reports that lacie only works with lacie drives. Caldigit's site is sparse?

Has ANY ONE used a USB3 express34 (or other i.e. thunderbolt, which would require 2 TB ports) card with a mbp?

What sort of speed can be expected? ( full USB3 or lower because of the mac express32 spec?)

also

Has any one used a U@ with a mca at all?
If I use the PDW-U2 with a mac USB2 port will the speed be any better than a PDW-U1?

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Murray North
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:35:32 am

Just rented a U2 deck for a couple of hours and ran some tests...

I consolidated the same 50gb XD cam hd disc into two different systems with very similar results..

1st was a 5,1 mac pro, 10.6.8, with a USB 3 pci card installed (CalDigit). It took 24 minutes to consolidate an almost full disc (48.5gb) to local RAID6 storage. Roughly 40 megabytes per second max speed - average 34 megabytes per second

2nd test was on a PC, windows XP USB 3 on the MoBO. Again, took 24 minutes to consolidate the same disc to local SSD storage. Roughly 40 megabytes per second max speed - average 34 megabytes per second

I thought on both machines I must have had incorrect drivers installed but I plugged in external USB 3 drives to the same ports and the speeds they were getting were much higher (ie: higher than is possible for USB 2).

So my question is this: Is 40 megabytes per second max speed for the U2 deck?

If it is, I don't understand the need for USB 3, the bottleneck is still the optic heads, this speed could be handled by USB 2 right?

All the advertising for this product say "333 Mb/s" is this a typo or am I missing something completely? 333mbps = 40MB/s (roughly).

Would love to keep this discussion going...

Return to posts index

Tim Selander
on Sep 29, 2012 at 3:34:51 am

Murray, thanks for doing these tests. Actually 40MB/s, while nothing near USB3's rated spec, is pretty good. I still haven't ended up buying the U2, but on other devices I typically get only 20MB/s on USB2 -- so the U2's USB3 is of some benefit. I wonder what its writing, as opposed to reading, speeds are...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]