FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outputting to XDCAM PDW-F75 form Sound Devices Pix 240

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Nelson
Outputting to XDCAM PDW-F75 form Sound Devices Pix 240
on Jan 6, 2012 at 7:23:43 pm

I know that I'm dealing with very new technology, so I'm figuring this is the first time this question has been asked. Regardless, someone may have had a similar issue with another output device and an XDCAM deck in times past.

We're working with a Sound Devices external recorder, the PIX 240. There is an SDI output on it, as well as a timecode out and sync out. Playing back files into the deck at 1080i/59.94 is not a problem - the deck sees the video, and syncs fine with timecode. When we choose a video file that is 1080p/29.97, the image is jittery and stretched. The timecode still comes over fine. I've switched the system frequency of the F75 to 30p, but it still will not stabilize.

Basically, the reason we're doing this is to use the XDCAM Deck as a passthrough/downconverter tool to provide time-coded SD DVDs to the client while we're recording.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Joe Tyler
Re: Outputting to XDCAM PDW-F75 form Sound Devices Pix 240
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:16:49 pm

Not 100% sure this is the answer, but the PIX240 needs to be set to the same resolution and frame rate as the camera or you will get all kinds of bad info down the SDI path.

The HD-SDI output from the XDcam mirrors your frame rate, so if you are set to 59.94i in camera the Pix will not work at 24 or 30 (23.98 or 29.97), because the SDI would be sending "incorrect" information.

Not sure you can use it as a pass through in this way... let me know what you find out.

http://www.killianthered.com
http://www.joetylerdp.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
F3/ EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

Matt Mayer
on Jan 8, 2012 at 8:34:30 pm

Tom,

The manual states:

"The [PDW-F75] can record and play back five different frame frequencies: 1080/59.94i (displayed as 60I), 50i (displayed as 50I), 29.97PsF (Displayed as 30P), 25PsF and 23.98PsF"
(Page 11 of the manual avilable here: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PDWF75/)

Apparently it does not like any true Progressive frame rates.

If you have further questions, please visit our forums at:

forums.sounddevices.com

---Matt Mayer
Sound Mixer
Applications Engineer
Sound Devices, LLC

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:23:51 pm

Lame, PDW-F75. Thanks for the info, Matt - very helpful. We're going with our Plan B, which is taking a monitor out from a camera CCU - we can easily down-convert to SD to input into the DVD recorder. The main camera ISO feed will suffice, as it's just for the client to make timecode notes.

I'm not sure it would be super-popular, but it would be great to have a menu item on the 240 to toggle a TC overlay on and off over the SDI output. That way you could run a true monitor out from it.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]