FORUMS: list search recent posts

OSX Lion creating proxies????

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marvin Holdman
OSX Lion creating proxies????
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:08:01 pm

This is a new one. Our Media Tech noticed that when transferring MXF files (from XDCAM Blueray disk) the OS would write an "extra" set of the files. The two differences in the files are 1. There is a number "4" appended to the file name and 2. The file size is substantially smaller than the original MXF file.

Anyone have an idea where these are coming from???

Also noted that the original file media is described in the finder as "Media eXchange File" and the newly created files are "quicktime movies". Any one else seeing this? Know how to stop it? It is quite annoying, as when we delete these files, the system automatically re-writes them back in the folder.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: OSX Lion creating proxies????
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:37:25 pm

If you use XDCAM Transfer the application is storing low-res proxies as QT files on your system. This is normal, as the proxies are what you are actually viewing in the application when logging, importing etc.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:42:35 pm

Yes, we are aware of that. The proxies you mention are normally stored in a subfolder, as specified by the transfer software. The files we're describing are different animals. The proxy files created by XDCAM transfer are actually standalone QT files which normally reside on the BD and are lo-res versions of the full res media.

The files that we are experiencing are some form of reference QT movies, as they display the full resolution media and reside in the same folder as the MXF files (and are too small to be ANY form of stand alone media). Very puzzling, as we don't know where they come from or what is generating them.

Here is an example;

Original full res media file - SH109335_01.mxf 216.3MB
Strange phantom that appears - SH109335_01_MXF4.mov 99KB

Delete this second file and the system instantly re-writes it. These are in the same folder. We're running OSX Lion on a Mac Pro.

Anyone knows WTH this is, it would be greatly appreciated. At this point, we're considering exorcism.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:24:19 pm

If you look at the QT video properties do they show as MPEG-4? It sounds almost as if the proxies are getting written to this other location instead of the libary folder you may have selected in the prefs. The only automatic encoding Transfer will do is of the QT proxies (it actually generates QTs instead of bringing in the MXF proxies stored in the sub folder on the disc).

Where is the library location for Proxy files?

Also, you mentioned that these strange files are going to "the same folder as the high res." Since it's impossible to write anything other than XDCAM MXF files to the /Clip folder on a disc I'm assuming you're importing from an archive folder of some sort?

What version of Transfer are you running?

I'm still inclined to think that we're missing something simple (like: the proxies are, erroneously or otherwise, getting written to the same folder as the original high res MXFs while "Automatically Fetch Proxies" is enabled in the prefs). If the application really has lost its marbles, try trashing the Prefs file (com.sony.bprl.xcamtransfer.plist) and deleting the cache. Also make sure you are running v 2.13, which is the only version supported under Lion.

Let me know if any of this helps..

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 2, 2011 at 3:12:03 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

First and foremost, XDCAM Transfer is NOT active when these files are re-created once trashed. This problem only manifested after Lion was installed (thus our belief it is a system problem, not a XDCAM transfer problem).

Regarding you questions....

We are using XDCAM transfer v2.13 to create the MXF's in question. They are created by right clicking on a specific media file from that application (XDCAM transfer straight from the BD) and choosing "Export clip to file". The instant they are created, the second file appears.

Here is an example of creating those that we did today;

File created by XDCAM Transfer software-
C0011.MXF Nov 18, 2011 12:18AM 46.4MB Material eXchange Format

File created simultaneously in same folder as this media -
C0011_MXF4.mov Today 8:56 AM 33KB Quicktime movie

The settings you ask about for XDCAM transfer are as follows; Import path Proxy path .

At this point, when we close down the XDCAM Transfer program, move the footage out of the specified "import path" and delete the second file (C0011_MXF4.mov) the system instantly re-writes that file. I'm guessing this is some function of Lion trying to "protect" our data by creating some sort of system reference. Unfortunately, we can't seem to find where this might be controlled.

While I agree that it is probably something simple, it is simply evading us at this point. Any ideas at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:15:17 pm

Oh great... now my machine is self editing.

In the previous post, it should read;

"The settings you ask about for XDCAM transfer are as follows;

Import path - desktop/export
Proxy path - library/application support/Sony XDCAM transfer"

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:48:45 pm

Ok, I didn't realize Transfer wasn't running when this occurs. I will have to take a look at it and follow up with you. If it's as you say it may have to do with the updates/changes to the way the Mac OS handles versioning and saving. Lion introduced some pretty significant changes in this regard and is always autosaving in the background. If you wouldn't mind taking this offline please shoot me a quick email at IAN-dot-COOK at AM-dot-SONY-dot-COM. Once we sort it out I'll make sure this thread is updated to reflect the correct answer/solution.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]