FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-700 24p mode image quality reduction

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Tweed
PDW-700 24p mode image quality reduction
on Jun 18, 2011 at 5:57:50 am

Hey guys,

I have some shots from a PDW-700 that were shot in HQ mode 4:2:2 50mbps that look very low quality. What I am seeing exactly is a huge amount of compression and some weird purple/green fringing around edges (not chromatic aberration). From what I understand the 700 is supposed to have an extremely clean image, so this is a bit weird.

I thought that they were shot at 24p, but seem to be 59.94 according to Avid and After Effects. When I step through the frames I noticed that the first 3 are identical except for the compression artifacts, then the next 2 are the same, then 3, and so on. I figure that this has something to do with a pull-down, but am completely confused at this point because the individual frames are definitely progressive and this doesn't handle the quality issue anyway...

Any ideas on what is causing this and what to do about it? Is there maybe a special way to load the footage? Right now I am pulling the files directly off of the disk with a U-1 drive and linking AMA in Avid, or directly importing to AE (and getting the exact same result).

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Chris Cottrell
Re: PDW-700 24p mode image quality reduction
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:58:13 pm

Possible CCD issue?

http://www.tekmg.com

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
Re: PDW-700 24p mode image quality reduction
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:31:55 am

So you think it is a defect with the camera as opposed to a way that the camera just naturally shoots?

I have read a million reviews that say this camera shoots an unbelievably clean image for the price, so that would make a bit more sense... I trust the cameraman though and would think that he'd catch something like a defective CCD.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]