FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-F70 Firewire Port No Longer Working

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
PDW-F70 Firewire Port No Longer Working
on Apr 2, 2011 at 3:21:02 pm

I have five PDW-F70s. On three of them the firewire port is no longer working. I vaguely remember hearing or reading that that port is not hot-swappable and it's an expensive repair. It's unconscionable that Sony designed it that way in this day and age especially with a $15K deck. My editors are switching the firewire cables constantly. It's only a matter of time before one of them forgets to turn the deck off before doing it.

Worse is that when you contact the repair center phone line, they won't give me a ballpark for the repair, even though it's a common one. I have to pay shipping to and from Sony along with their $135 diagnostic fee to learn whether I can afford it or not at this time.

Before I ship one of the decks to them, does anyone know how much that repair is? And can anyone recommend another place I can have it repaired, ideally at a lower cost than Sony, that can give me an idea of the price over the phone? tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Chris Cottrell
Re: PDW-F70 Firewire Port No Longer Working
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:10:57 pm

Firewire replacement is something im very familiar with. Alot of people HATE Sony's repair service for the same reasons you mentioned. $130-$140 estimate fee plus about 2 weeks before you hear anything. I hope I dont get in trouble with the MOD but i'd like to help you out. I could take a look at them FREE OF CHARGE meaning free estimate. The reason ballpark estimates on these repairs is so difficult without looking is because depending on the amount and extent of damaged IC's on the board, there are two possible solutions. Replace the board (at least $1200 plus labor) or repair the board by replacing the individual ic's and do full adjustments (this is NOT typically offered by Sony, our facility has the technology, easily saving you 50%). So as someone who is passionate about repair as I am. I hope you give our website a look which is http://www.tekmg.com for more info. I wish you luck!

http://www.tekmg.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
Re: PDW-F70 Firewire Port No Longer Working
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:00:53 pm

Thank you Chris. I had them repair one but can't afford to have the others done right now, but I'll keep you info. -Thomas

Thomas H

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]