FORUMS: list search recent posts

preparing files for Avid on a Mac

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kimberly Holmes
preparing files for Avid on a Mac
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:38:13 pm

Hi, I'm shooting XDCAM footage with the PDW700 for a client who uses Avid News Cutter. Does anyone have experience delivering video files via hard drive for use with Avid News Cutter?

first question: does the hard drive have to be formatted FAT32? or can a PC system accept a Mac-formatted drive?

second question: what file format is going to be compatible? quicktime movie? raw MXF? what is Avid looking for?

third question: can I log & transfer on a Mac, or do I need to be doing log & transfer on a PC platform?

any experience would be appreciated.

thank you!

Edward R. Murrow on Television
"This instrument can teach, it can illuminate, yes, and even it can inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it's nothing but wires and lights in a box."

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: preparing files for Avid on a Mac
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:02:57 pm

Hi Kimberly,

first question: does the hard drive have to be formatted FAT32? or can a PC system accept a Mac-formatted drive?

There are utilities you can install to make Mac-formatted drives accessible to Windows but it's probably best to assume that if they are editing on a Windows based system you should probably deliver on an NTFS or FAT formatted drive (FAT is interchangeable between Mac and Windows but can't support files larger than 4 GB).

second question: what file format is going to be compatible? quicktime movie? raw MXF? what is Avid looking for?

Avid wants MXF files, for the most part. If you pre-convert the footage using XDCAM Transfer + FCP (or any of the rewrap-to-mov processes) the files won't be readable on the Avid system unless they have a 3rd party codec (like XD-import from Calibrated) installed. Usually for Avid it is best to deliver disc images containing all the original MXF files in their original file/folder structure.

third question: can I log & transfer on a Mac, or do I need to be doing log & transfer on a PC platform?

You don't really 'Log and Transfer' so much as simply copy the files since you probably don't want to deliver converted files. So I'd suggest just making disc images, one to a folder, on your external drive. Any recent version of Newscutter/Media Composer can link to these. It doesn't matter whether the files are copied from a Mac or PC.

Hope this is helpful...

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]