FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM on the road...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Smith
XDCAM on the road...
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:58:41 pm

Hey all:

It's moments like this when I start to realize exactly how spoiled I have been in my creative career... never had to do this before. :P

So, for my first time ever, I have to take my workflow entirely mobile. Here's the basics:

- I have approximately 10 hours of Apple ProRes422 HQ footage that I have been cutting projects with here at our facility. Next week, I have to take all of this footage with me to be able to cut packages on the road for the event.

- I will be delivering XDCAM HD422 discs (via a PDW-U1) to both a production truck and a control room inside the arena.

- I have already downloaded, tested and confirmed that the U1 has the right drivers, will write to the discs, and those discs will playback in our 1600's and 1500's.

My only question is this: Should I convert all of the footage that I am taking with me to XDCAM HD422 codec BEFORE I leave? I will be doing packages that involve AfterEffects animations, other DV & XDCAM EX footage, etc... My ultimate goal would be cutting down rendering times as much as possible before writing to disc.

I have done one test in which I had to bring in XDCAM EX footage, drop it into FCP, render to MXF, and then write to disc from my laptop... worked fine, but it took a while to render. In all fairness: I am USED to working in edit bays, with lots of horsepower and storage... so I know that my perception is a bit flawed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/best practices.

-Phil Smith

Oh, and just in case Sony runs across this post: Sony's documentation etc. of the XDCAM system is (IMHO) really disorganized. It would be a fantastic help if Sony could organize the NEEDED files for each OS and NLE.

For example: I have FCS3 with OSX 10.6 = Here's the files you need for XDCAM HD, SxS, etc.

-PJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]