FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer for XDCAM HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Kim
Log and Transfer for XDCAM HD
on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:19:00 pm

I saw that the Sept 15 2010 Pro Applications update included support for Sony NXCAM SD with Log and Transfer, as well as additional help for 720 versions of XDCAM.

Does anybody know if Apple or Sony ever plan on making Log and Transfer compatible with XDCAM HD disc-based importing?

Return to posts index

Tom Bucknall
Re: Log and Transfer for XDCAM HD
on Sep 26, 2010 at 12:59:07 pm

Sony have been talking about a new program that combines Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer for a while now, whether it will provide support for XDCAM HD 422 through Log and Transfer remains to be seen. I know a lot of people are coming across this flaw and Sony really need to address it soon or face people deviating to P2 or the other alternatives.

Return to posts index

Paul Kim
on Sep 26, 2010 at 3:45:55 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's a Sony problem or if Apple's Pro App developers just aren't tackling it. But I think about how Canon developed a plug-in for their H.264 codec fairly quickly to work with Log & Transfer, so I don't see a significant reason why Sony wouldn't. If they're trying to get us to move over to Vegas, forget it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Sep 26, 2010 at 8:33:43 pm

I've always preferred the XDCAM Transfer software over Log and Transfer when working with SxS cards, anyway (no choice with Pro Discs, of course).

Are there advantages of Log and Transfer that I am unaware of?

Return to posts index

Paul Kim
on Sep 26, 2010 at 8:46:25 pm

It's the same workflow as working with all the other tapeless media, so it's about consistency for me. Most importantly though, I can media manage better--if a file gets deleted or a drive that wasn't backed up goes, then it's just a simple batch capture, and it will reimport the exact same file with the same in and out points made. Can't do that with XDCAM Transfer. You can reimport the same file only if you captured the entire clips, but you still have to reconnect manually. I don't want to always import entire clips, and that's a huge advantage for me.

Return to posts index

Tom Bucknall
on Sep 26, 2010 at 8:58:05 pm

"Can't do that with XDCAM Transfer. You can reimport the same file only if you captured the entire clips"

This is what makes offlining with XDCAM impossible, I can't believe XDCAM has been out so long and this hasn't been addressed, let alone why it was released with this massive flaw.

Return to posts index

Paul Kim
on Sep 26, 2010 at 9:05:50 pm

I've gotten used to things being released prematurely, but after like 4 years? Come on...

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:09:21 pm

[Tom Bucknall] "This is what makes offlining with XDCAM impossible, I can't believe XDCAM has been out so long and this hasn't been addressed, let alone why it was released with this massive flaw."

Why would you want to do this? The files are small enough for a full online edit. Do you know why we used to do offline edits? It was because the media required was too large to fit on most computer's hard drives. Now, with hard drives being as large as they are, there's no need for offline edits anymore. Now, its more about rough edits and finished edits.

We've been using the XDCAM series since its initial release and there has never been a need for offline edits. XDCAM SD (the IMX 30, 40, and 50 flavors) have file sizes that are the equivalent of DV video and its counterpart the HD flavor has file sizes that are less than DVCProHD, making it easy enough for almost any Mac laptop to edit an XDCAM HD program.

Remember, there will always be limitations on equipment. It's up to us to think it out and overcome them. That's what separates the pros from the amateurs.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Sep 26, 2010 at 9:49:16 pm

Good point. I rarely have to deal with anything that isn't from an EX or XDCAM so unified workflow is not really an issue. I can imagine it would be a pain to have to learn the way around multiple pieces of software to do principally the same job.

I have kind of worked around the reimport problem in XDCAM Transfer by saving its database (on a per-project basis) with all my markup intact. Provided my preferences are set the same and I have a clean import location (to avoid any possibility of filename), I get identical files. It's certainly not ideal, though and relinking is still, as you say, a manual process.

Return to posts index

Paul Kim
on Sep 26, 2010 at 10:16:46 pm

No matter how meticulous I may be, there are always those occasions when somehow somehow media becomes offline. When you have a timeline with thousands of clips and edits, the last thing you have time for is looking for the media, making sure it's the right clip, creating the right in-out points, and matching it up exactly as you had it on the timeline. Thus the ability to right clip on offline media and recapture really simply saves a lot of time and money for me.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:11:10 pm

Better organizational skills would probably be easier. See Shane Ross' DVD on this subject. Its sold here on the COW.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]