FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using ProDisc for archiving

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mika Raatikainen
Using ProDisc for archiving
on Sep 8, 2010 at 9:41:44 am

Hi, I need some help with archiving material to Professional Discs. I've checked the previous posts about this problem, and no one had an answer for it. So I hope to have better luck myself.

I can copy/move the material to the "/Userdata" -folder as data. This is all fine, but of course they cannot be played back on the Sony HD1500 deck. And for archiving purposes this is really inconvenient if you always have to use a computer just to look at the contents with more detail. There is only so much info you put in a text file..

When I try to move files to the "/Clip" folder, the OS gives the "Error 36", and/or says that I have no clearance to write there. It's the same even when moving from the Clip Browser. The picture format I'd be using for archiving is XDCAM HD 422, so it shouldn't be a compability issue.

I've had some success with exporting sequences from Final Cut, and they can be played back on the deck, but it is a single clip. And when you have some 60 clips of raw material, you'd wan't them to appear separate. And exporting all clips one at a time is very consuming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mika Raatikainen

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Using ProDisc for archiving
on Sep 8, 2010 at 1:40:16 pm

Hi Mika,

If you're saving MXFs to the /Clip folder there are some restrictions on what type of file can be placed there.

If the 'Mixed Recording' function is not enabled (in the deck/camcorder menu or from the U-1 Utility software if you're using a U-1 drive) you cannot mix frame rates or codecs on a disc. If Mixed Recording is turned on you can mix HD frame rates within the same frequency group (e.g. 30p/60i, 25p/50i).

The most common reason for write/permissions errors is the Free File Naming setting. If Free Naming is not enabled (in the deck/camcorder menu or in the U-I Utility software for the drive) the clip names must follow the standard Cxxxx.mxf convention. Anything else you try to place on the drive will be rejected. If Free Naming is enabled you can use arbitrary file names.

Finally, though I'm sure you are aware of this, it bears repeating that only XDCAM format .mxf files can be placed in /Clip. You cannot put .mp4s or files of any other format there without first converting them. This can be done using Clip Browser (for .mp4s) or by placing your files into an Avid or FCP sequence and exporting them as .mxfs. Unfortunately you cannot batch export multiple clips from FCP or Avid.

Hope this is helpful.. If you're still having issues please provide some additional info about your workflow (file type/format, device) and hopefully we can sort out where the problem is.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Mika Raatikainen
Re: Using ProDisc for archiving
on Sep 9, 2010 at 9:45:08 am

Thank you!

You're answer hit the spot! Now the archiving works as I'd planned. I didn't know about the significance of the file names, and having been sweating over it for a week, I feel more at ease. I'm just a little bewildered about the lack of instructions for this, as the Deck's own manual didn't say a word about it.

But, now to go buy out that MainConcept watermark..

Thank you again!
Mika

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]