FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM export to disk

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stef Allan
XDCAM export to disk
on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:31:35 pm

Hello,

Posting this in both the PDW forum and the Final Cut forum because I think that it could apply either place.

I'm having a problem writing XDCAM clips back to a disk. We shot some car mount footage on another camera (GoPro)

• I compressed that footage to XDCAM 1080i60 35Mb/s
• Placed the compressed footage into a Final Cut timeline (XDCAM HD 1080i60 35Mb/s VBR).
• Set Audio output to four channels, 1 and 2 dual mono and 3 and 4 dual mono.
• Set our deck (Sony PDW-HD1500) to 59.94i/HD420-1080/HQ/4CH-16Bit
• File > Export > Sony XDCAM...
• Export to "Untitled" (the XDCAM disk that's in the deck.
• As format MXF (HDCAM, HD, HD422)
• Using settings XDCAM HD 1080i60 VBR
• REC INHIBIT off on the deck

It won't write that to the disk. I continue to get "Export Failed" windows telling me to check settings and make sure record inhibit is off.

Here's the problem: when I set the settings to XDCAM HD 1080i60 CBR (which is 25Mb/s) or XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR (which is 50Mb/s) the file writes properly EVEN THE DECK IS SET TO 420HQ.

Our show is shot at the 420HQ (35Mb/s) format and that is what we have to deliver to post.

The problem seems that CBR works just fine and VBR does not. Does the computer have a problem with a variable bitrate that it doesn't have with a constant bit rate?

The footage is not going to suffer at 25Mb/s, since it was shot on the little GoPro camera (it records to an mp4 file at a much lower compression). But we want to get the footage to post in the same format that they're getting everything else.

What can I do to fix this situation?

Thanks,
Stef

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM export to disk
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:02:43 pm

Hi Stef,

If you export the sequence to the desktop, are you able to manually drop the MXF into /Clip? Alternately, if you try embedding the sequence in a new sequence, does that allow you to export? If that fails, try checking the 'Recompress All Frames' check box in the XDCAM Export window. This forces a re-render of the sequence and ignores the existing FCP render files.

Your settings are all correct; if it was an audio output or free file naming issue you would not have gotten this far. The HD1500 will allow you to export a 422/50 MB file even if the deck is set to 420 as long as it's the first clip on the disc. After that, if mixed recording is not enabled in the maintenance menu, the deck should go into Rec Inhibit since the record format on the deck doesn't match the first clip on the disc. (It's the first clip on the disc that determines the characteristics and limitations of the disc more than what the deck is set to.)

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful. Please give our tech support group a call at 800/883-6817 if you cannot get it working. If need be we can get a sample file from you and try it on one of our machines.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:48:02 pm

When I try to drag the .mxf into the clip folder, I get an error message in the Finder:

'The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "FILENAME.MXF" can't be read or written. (Error code -36)'

The problem seems to be something related to a variable bitrate. Is there a chance that I may have a plugin problem? Would this be a reason to trash the prefs?

Come to think of it, I'll try trashing prefs and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:53:00 pm

Nope, trashing FCP prefs doesn't help. Maybe I'll try later on a different computer to see if it's an issue with the install of the XD software on mine.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:40:11 pm

VBR vs CBR should not make a difference if it is the first clip on the disc. And if it's 420 VBR/CBR, these can be mixed without any special settings.

You should try the 'Recompress All Frames' option in the Export window. If there's something not being encoded properly this usually fixes it.

If you drop a 60i bars clip into an XDHD sequence, does that export?

Return to posts index

Corey Frey
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:31:47 pm

Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same error code but only after I add caption data.

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
on Jun 6, 2013 at 3:24:47 pm

I'd love to tell you but at this point I can't remember.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]