FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Recording Media Opinions?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Duffy
XDCAM Recording Media Opinions?
on Jun 19, 2010 at 7:35:01 pm

We're taking delivery of our new 700 next week. Before we start buying media, I was wondering what manufacturer's discs most of you are working with. I see the Maxell 50GB is selling in the $34 range, which is a great deal compared with Sony's 50GB at $58. Anyone ever had any problems with Maxell discs? Do most of you stick with Sony or have you tried Maxell and TDK?

Jim Duffy
Venture Media, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

George Griswold
Re: XDCAM Recording Media Opinions?
on Jun 20, 2010 at 2:04:48 am

Great question Jim... someone has to be using these discs. I always used Sony media (3/4" on down) because the cost is a pass through. I guess it is not hard to imagine having a recording issue with a TDK or other brand disc and having the client ask, "why didn't you use Sony discs for our shoot?" On the other hand the TDK discs could actually have better quality control... but how do we know?

I will be interested in following this thread.

George

George Griswold
New Orleans, LA
http://www.videonow.info

Return to posts index

Jim Duffy
on Jun 20, 2010 at 3:46:53 am

Yeah, George. We've also tended to stick with Sony tape media for many years (& Panasonic on our DVC-Pro tapes). But now that we're moving into the disc media world, I'd like to explore some other options. I have to wonder how Maxell can afford to sell their discs at close to half the price of Sony. Is it a case of lower quality materials being used and/or less quality control procedures. Or is it just that Sony tends to overprice their accessories and media because of their name value? I'm hoping we'll hear from some folks who have actually been using some of the other XD brands for a year or so.

Jim Duffy
Venture Media, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Sam Painter
on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:23:25 am

I have been shooting with Sony and Fuji for the past two years or so and never had a problem.
As a matter of fact I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with any disc.
They are probably all made in one or two of the same factories anyway.

Return to posts index

Mark Rule
on Jul 1, 2010 at 12:30:49 am

I have also been using Sony and Fuji discs - and haven't had a problem so far. Have been able to get the Fuji discs at a better price than Sony, so have been using them more often lately (especially for my own projects) - no problems and no complaints.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jim Duffy
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:19:34 pm

Interesting that nobody's mentioned using the Maxell discs. They seem to be the best value at $34 for the 50GB dual discs. I'm looking at them to archive our media, data, etc. Wouldn't use them in the field since the XDCAM limit is 300 files/shots per disc (so we'd probably never fill a disc since our shots average about :20 sec each). The 23GB field discs will be sent to the client after each shoot/edit, but I also need to keep a copy of all the field footage in our library for future productions. That's why I was thinking about the Maxell 50GBs. I'd like to know what others are using for archiving.

Jim Duffy
Venture Media, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Piotr Niemcewicz
on Aug 28, 2010 at 7:24:05 am

Few Year ago We used Sony XDCam disk to make reality show.
One day record about 80 disk, erased past 10 days. Its about 800 disk round up for week. NO PROBLEM, with ANY disk, every disk works perfect! But.. camcorders sony, decks sony, disk sony......

Return to posts index

Kevin Carlson
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:05:54 pm

After the tsunami destroyed the Sony factory and you couldn't find Sony discs, we started buying Fuji discs. They come pre-formatted so we always do our best to format again in camera. Usually they are fine but now I'm hoping we can go back to Sony only since they have been giving error messages in the U1 drive lately. Volume recovery fails and the only way to input media has been to use in the deck and capture like a tape.
They are definitely different products, you can tell by look and feel of casing/plastic.

Anyone have this issue and have more success than I have?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]