FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-F800 -- how long will it last? 1080-50p/60p on the horizon as acquisition standards?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Andreas
PDW-F800 -- how long will it last? 1080-50p/60p on the horizon as acquisition standards?
on May 29, 2010 at 1:52:59 am

I am in the market for a PDW-F800 but wanted to make sure this $45k camera has LEGS....it being MPEG-2 and all. I know all those cameramen who purchased an F-700 and were ANNOYED about the high-cadence follow-up with the F-800 just a few months later.

Also, there is rumors that EBU (European Broadcast Union) wants to go to 1080-50p (not 1080/25p or 50i) in the near future as an acquisition standard in Europe, which is not possible with the current cameras at full resolution. Similar rumors are coming out of Japan (60p) and may be the reality in the US soon too.

Knowing SONY I am expecting a PDW-F900 sometime soon, maybe even with the new quad layer 128GB discs they showcased at NAB (supposedly for archival-only for the time being). The next camera might be MPEG-4 based as MPEG-2 is an outdated standard by now.

Any insight, thoughts, predictions would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Andreas
Director of Photography
Los Angeles
DVW970 DigiBetacam PAL
SDX900
HDX900

http://www.PALHD.com

Return to posts index

George Griswold
Re: PDW-F800 -- how long will it last? 1080-50p/60p on the horizon as acquisition standards?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:45:02 am

Even without that format news on the horizon both SONY XDCAM HD cameras are getting "older" by current fruit fly product cycle standards. I sprung for a 700 used a few months back, partially on faith. Still get more calls for the HDX-900, but you also need certain gear to stay in the game. I would wait unless you have a big project, but also keep in mind the cost of rentals and/or work that you could not take.

Bottom line: it's anyone's guess and the whole "camera a month" thing is really putting the screws to us freelancers. I always like the pseudo indignant tone when someone calls to book a job with camera XYZ and you tell them you don't have it, but have ABC, DEF, and RST. Oh, we don't want that one. Fine, guess I will do QuickBooks today or set up a camera.

Return to posts index

Sam Painter
Re: PDW-F800 -- how long will it last? 1080-50p/60p on the horizon as acquisition standards?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 6:05:18 am

I was one of those "cameramen who purchased an F-700 and were ANNOYED about the high-cadence follow-up with the F-800 just a few months later. "
I knew it was coming and anyone who did any research knew that the 800 was coming...just not as fast as it did.
Check out what I wrote back in November.
Re: PDW-F800 XDCAM - it's awfully quiet out there by Sam Painter on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:41:06 pm

I still feel the same way. I also need to say that Sony did come out with a software update. Now you CAN record in 24 fps in SD if needed.

Who knows what format has legs anymore?
Until P2, sxs, cf or sd cards come down in price everybody is still going to have to transfer their footage at the end of the day.
That is where the XD format has got them beat.
Right now it is $20 for a 23gb disc. thats about 43 min. in HD422 8 bit recording.
An archive-able disc thats OPTICALLY Burned not magnetic. That right there is a HUGH advantage over anything magnetic.
CBS, ABC and Fox have adopted the format.
You can buy a playback deck for $2800.00. That is very appealable to mom and pop shops.

BUT,
I'm sure that in the near future Canon or somebody will figure out how to make their full frame sensor stay cool for longer than 12 minutes.
They'll have an export plug for a nano flash or have it built in, as well as tc, hd sdi and audio ins/outs.
It will be a shoulder mount body, higher rez and bit rate and under 10k. (without glass)

That is what Im worried about / looking foreword to!

Sam Painter

Pictor Production, Inc.
sam@pictorprod.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]