FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lectrosonics SR receiver and the PDW700 - 2 channel through front input?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Lectrosonics SR receiver and the PDW700 - 2 channel through front input?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:45:58 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm hooking up the Lectro SR via the 5pin off the top of the unit to the stereo XLR input on the front of the camera.

I have READ the manual SEVERAL times and can't seem to get the settings right to get quality audio from that arrangement.

The single channel sounds beautiful through the slot input...but the dual channel is overmodulated and there is noise.

Anyone else using this setup that can give me advice? I've called Lectro and they've been no help.

-Jason

Return to posts index

John Cummings
Re: Lectrosonics SR receiver and the PDW700 - 2 channel through front input?
on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:15:18 am

Well, off the top of my head, I'd check a few things...I'll confess I don't own this particular camera, but they all work pretty much the same under the hood. I hope you'll excuse me if I sound like I'm talking to a newbie.

First, check both output levels on the SR. Bring them both down if they're too hot.
Check to see if the front mic input is controlled by any physical volume control on the front of the camera.
Check the audio menu in the camera and see if the front inputs are trimmed too low.
Check to make sure the front inputs are in manual, not auto levels.

Good luck and let us know how it shakes out...

J.Cummings
Chicago
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Lectrosonics SR receiver and the PDW700 - 2 channel through front input?
on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:55:50 pm

I'm updating this post in case it can help someone in the future.

From my experience...I learned - DO NOT USE THE FRONT INPUT FOR LECTROSONICS SR 2 CHANNEL. :)

If you plug a stereo balanced plug from the receiver, it automatically turns off both channels internally...so you reduce your options. Also, you can't have phantom power running to the input with the SR receiver (which I always have on to power my shotgun nat sound mic)...it gives you noise. To turn off phantom power to the front is in the menu's and it isn't nearly as easy as the button on the rear inputs.

I got a plug from the receiver to dual XLR's on the back and I'm much happier with the result.

Thought I'd update my experience.

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]