FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW F800 Extender

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Earle Nichol
PDW F800 Extender
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:06:54 pm

Hey Gang, This camera has a digital zoom feature called extender which is turned on in the camera. It's only briefly mentioned on page 35 of the manual and even though I turned it off I'm still missing the wide angle of the 4.7 lens. This feature is indicated by the prefix x2D in the viewfinder. If I extend the lens extender as well this prefix changes to Ex2D. Any ideas how to turn this off? What am I missing?

thanks

Earle

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
Re: PDW F800 Extender
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:06:59 pm

Earle,

This is a feature that is TYPICALLY assigned to one of the 5 programmable buttons. Go in, see your assignments, see which one it is, and then turn it off.

There is more about this mentioned in the Vortex Media "F800 Field Guide." I just got one, and it's awesome! http://vortexmedia.com/FIELD_GUIDES.html EVERYTHING you would want to know about the camera is in this book. If you own the camera, this field guide is a MUST own... hey you spent $40K for the camera, what's $100 more for the knowledge on how to use it?

Curt

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F800/F350/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Earle Nichol
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:19:30 pm

Hey Curt, thanks for the info! Yo're so right, I'll definitley take a look at the Vortex Media Guide. And yes that's exactly what the problem was and we did get it fixed up.

thanks again for your time.

Earle

Return to posts index

paul watkins
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:54:27 pm

Hello Earle,

I thought about this and it is assignable, but it will NOT work in 23.98. Also, focus mag doesn't work in 23.98.

It does stay as a button assignment, but doesn't function.

One thing they don't mention is that it will probably derogate some of the picture with little light loss to a certain degree, but it may get you over the hump. Using the 2x on the lens will keep the integrity of the image, but WILL give you light loss.

I have used all of those other guides and and I found the Vortex Media Guide easier to understand and to use in a pinch:

http://vortexmedia.com/FIELD_GUIDES.html

Paul Watkins

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:30:55 am

Earle,

Paul Watkins is right! Thanks Paul, great tip! That's why this site is so good. Folks point out things!

I typically shoot EVERYTHING in 24p. In the beginning of my F800 use, "sometimes" features didn't seem to work in my chosen and favorite frame rate. These are the little "gotchas" that people tend to forget.

The Vortex guide books are fantastic at breaking down the stuff in the Sony manuals so that even egg heads like me can figure it out in the field. They're affordable and very durable too! I have the EX line of books in the case with the cameras... every so often I have to refer back to them to see what I've forgotten. The F800 guide is VERY in depth. Vortex did an unbelievable job of organizing all the features according to their respective menu pages. It's easy to follow that way.

Curt

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F800/F350/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]