FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD Post Pro Codec Issue

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Coons
XDCAM HD Post Pro Codec Issue
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:56:42 pm

We have about 4 hours of footage shot with the PDW 350 HD recorded at 1080 60i 35VBR.

The footage looks great - interviews and B-roll, final product several 3 minute videos.

Question #!: In Final Cut Pro, when I drag a clip into an empty timeline, the suggested compressor comes up as HDV 108060i, even though there is a compressor available for XDCAM HD 1080 60i 35VBR in the menu. When I change the time line to that specific codec, the footage must be rendered.

Question #2: We have produced some graphics in animation codec at 1080x1920 and they will not render in the HDV or XDCAM codec timelines. When I try Pro Res, they do render, but there seems to be a lot of aliasing on the text. (Looks perfect in Animation Codec)

Any insights would be helpful. Thanks

Bill Coons

FCP 7.01
Motu 4HD
MacOS 10.6.2
2x2.66 Dual Core w 5GB Ram, 1.5T RAID

OS 10.6.2, FCP 7.0.1, XDCAM Transfer 2.10.0
(2) 8-core, (1) Dual Core, (1) G5, (1) MB Pro Edit/Graphics Systems
Sony XDCAM 350 HD, DSR500, DSR300, Pana DVX100

Return to posts index

Chris Young
Re: XDCAM HD Post Pro Codec Issue
on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:50:13 pm

Not too clued up on FCP as we do all our editing on Windows 7 using Vegas which handles XDcam MXF files natively and have no issues. I did hear from some though colleagues who are FCP users that they solved a lot of their XDCam woes by using Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX. Calibrated{Q} MXF Import is a QuickTime component for NATIVE Importing and Editing of MXF Files within Final Cut Studio 2 & 3 Applications. Maybe worth a look at:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Bill Coons
on Mar 12, 2010 at 5:10:07 pm

Thank you very much Chris, we will look into this. Sony has new drivers coming out after NAB so maybe something will be adjusted then.

Sony XDCAM 350 HD, XDCAM Transfer 2.10.0
MacOS 10.6.2, Apple FCP 7.0.1
2x2.66 Dual-Core Xeon, 5GB Ram, 1.5T Internal RAID
ATI Radeon X1900 XT

Return to posts index

John Pipes
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:21:26 pm

Hi Bill,
I am not familiar with the Motu device however we edit a daily TV program using XDCAM HD and FCP. We use the Kona 3 card and this workflow works very well. However we create a ProRes sequence and ingest HD-SDI in order to avoid CODEC issues.

We do use the Animation CODEC for our motion graphics inside ProRes sequences and it looks great, no aliasing. We have found it is quite important to make sure our hard ware device settings match our ingest and sequence settings when using XDCAM. We have experienced that it is quite easy to get things out of sync between native recording CODECS, and sequence and display CODECS, pixel aspect ratio, etc.

When we first purchased our 350 camera two years ago we did not have the 1500 or 1600 decks (disc drives) yet and did capture as files via firewire log and transfer. During that time we edited to sequences that matched the CODEC being shot and it worked fine. VBR 35 mbs XDCAM HD 1080i. We set this up as an Easy Setup in FCP though rather than allowing the clip to determine the sequence settings. We never edit in HDV sequences.

Hope this helps.

John Pipes
Senior Producer
Joyce Meyer Ministries
http://www.joycemeyer.org/ourministries/broadcast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]