FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW cameras compared to pmw 350 with nano flash

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
PDW cameras compared to pmw 350 with nano flash
on Dec 30, 2009 at 5:45:06 pm

The other night i got to thinking about a the nano flash article i read on here a few weeks back and i had a question as it relates to PDW cameras and sony's new pmw 350.

My question is; would getting the new pmw 350 and attaching the nano flash recorder set to 50mb/s xdcam hd at that point make it a pretty comparable camera to the PDW series cameras. as far as i can tell all of the specs of the two would be similar if not the same. i have no intention of starting a which camera is better contest. but with a potential price difference of over 20 grand i thought i would get some of your experience to weigh in on this .

any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

dusty powers
Re: PDW cameras compared to pmw 350 with nano flash
on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:12:06 am

I have to think about my clients and what they want. I own a NanoFlash, a HDX-900, HVX-200A, EX-1 and the F800.

If you are shooting and editing for delivery then it's a different story. You have more control.

I will say the NanoFlash is a great tool.

DP

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Dec 31, 2009 at 4:11:47 pm

Yes as the Video production arm of the university i work at most of our "Clients" are other departments. Here on campus and to be honest they never know what they want, so we have pretty much all control. but with that said i would like to deliver the best bang for the buck. so do you think the combination of the nano flash and a pmw 350. would be semi comparable to a high end PDW series camera ?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Jan 1, 2010 at 5:08:34 pm

I'd have to consider spending somewhere around 25K with lens and NanoFlash vs 45K plus 20K for a lens. Of course you get more bells and whistles by spending more, but you have to decide if you really need them. I've heard great things about the quality of the 350 with the NanoFlash recording at the higher Mbp rates. I don't think you'd be dissapointed. I'd also give thought about an archiving method if you went this direction. Laying back to Blu Ray is one consideration.

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:40:13 pm

Thanks for the Input. Bells and whistles i'm not to worried about. what i am looking for is Image Quality vs price. So unless there somthing crucial i'm missing that might be the direction we start to head.

About Archiving. currently we are laying to blu ray. which works great unless the there are errors( we have had on a couple of discs). Our future plan includes are IT department creating a Large redundant San Storage Server space that we will become are archive/nearline storage

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Alister Chapman
on Jan 17, 2010 at 6:46:26 pm

I own a PDW-700 and have used the PMW-350 with a NanoFlash. There is little to choose between them in most cases. The resolution is about the same, the 350 produces a sharper image out of the box and most people will probably want to turn down the detail settings a bit. Lattitude is similar around 10 to 11 stops. Interestingly the 350 has quite a bit less noise than the 700, it is a very clean image. When I used the 350 I really liked the way it handled hard highlights. There are other differences in the image as the 700 is CCD and the 350 is CMOS, so the 350 exhibits skew and flash banding. It's no worse than an EX1 or EX3 and in the majority of shots it will never be an issue, but it's there all the same. If your working with strobe lighting a lot then the 350 may not be the camera for you.

In terms of bells and whistles, well the 350 has more. It will over and undercrank and has a color viewfinder. In the future it will get most of the metadata functions of the PDW-700. There is also a 50 pin expansion port so who know what the future holds.

The PMW-350 and NanoFlash is a hard to beat combo. The amazingly noise free images will grade really well allowing heavy post work. It's very lightweight and only needs a 90Wh battery for 4 hours of non-stop shooting. As I said I own a PDW-700 but I have also ordered a PMW-350. Will I keep the 700?? Time will tell. You still can't knock the ability to take the disc out of the camera and hand it over to the client. Of course if you need optical discs then shoot at 50Mb/s with the nanoflash and dump the clips on to a Sony PDW-U1. A PMW-350 with lens, PDW-U1, NanoFlash and a few CF cards costs less than a PDW-700 body. To that you have to add viewfinder and lens.

Alister Chapman
http://www.xdcam-user.com

Return to posts index

John Pipes
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:36:11 pm

Hi Mike,
We own a 350 and two of the new F800s. We have been very pleased with the 350 and have used it around the world in varying conditions and in studio with very controlled film style conditions. In each application the 350 has been great.

Because we are a broadcast organization we added the F800s when they became available. Some things we see a difference in other than a higher recording bit rate with the F800s are the larger target size (2/3" chips rather than 1/2") does help reduce depth of field which we always strive for.

The F800 is also full raster HD 1920 X 1080 while the 350 is 1440 X 1080.

The F800 has more stop lattitude, it handles bright areas better than the 350.

The F800 also takes the 50 gig disc which is quite nice.

So beyond the recording bit rate there are some advantages with the F800 over the 350. However for your application if you are primarily non-broadcast I would think the 350 would be an outstanding tool even at 35 mbs, so I would think adding the Nano Flash would increase its worth to you and save a lot of cash for other areas of need.

I also do know from past experience that Convergent Designs makes wonderful devices and offers outstanding customer service.

John Pipes
Senior Producer
Joyce Meyer Ministries
http://www.joycemeyer.org/ourministries/broadcast

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Apr 11, 2010 at 6:04:49 pm

The PMW EX-350 has 2/3" CMOS chips, not 1/2" as suggested ... unless I misunderstood your post.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:42:48 am

I think Mike is talking about the new EX 350 and John is talking about the older disc-based 1/2" 350.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:34:08 pm

By "new EX 350" are you referring in actuality to the Ex 320, the upcoming 1/2" model in a 350 shoulder mount body? And even so, aren't they both, the 350 and the newly announced 320, full raster?

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:32:20 pm

No I meant the PMW-350 SxS camera as against the PDW-F350 XDCAM disc camera, but Mike and John would have to confirm what exact cameras they are discussing...

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Ronald Wilk
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:43:58 pm

Well, no matter. I appreciate your response but just to reiterate for the IP, the PMW 350 is a 2/3" CMOS chipped full raster camera.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:12:05 am

Yes i was refering to the "New" sxs version of the 350. just go back from NAB and saw footage in person of a 350 using a Nano flash to capture. WOW what a pretty image.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

John Pipes
on Apr 16, 2010 at 6:24:30 pm

So sorry for the confusion, in my post above I was in fact referring to the first gen Sony 350 that is XDCAM HD disc based and has the half inch sensor and 1440x10800 pixel aspect. Just returned from NAB and did get a chance to play with the new 350-SXS based camera and it is very nice. Great low light performance. Wonderful view finder. A bit large and heavy considering it is SXS recording, but all in all very nice in deed. However I was more impressed with the AJA KI unit than the Nano Flash unit. Recording straight to ProRes is appealing. Cheers

John Pipes
Senior Producer
Joyce Meyer Ministries
http://www.joycemeyer.org/ourministries/broadcast

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:13:39 am

I weighed it all up John and went for the Nano over the Ki. I was just concerned about the "portapak" situation with the Ki Pro. The 10-bit ProRes nearly swayed me though. Maybe buying both is the answer!

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]