FORUMS: list search recent posts

F900 vs F900R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Keyes
F900 vs F900R
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:57:28 pm

Hi guys,

I know there are lots of posts on the 900 and the 900R, but I didn't find one specifically comparing the 2 cameras.

Since the 900R came out a few years ago, the price on the 900 obviously dropped significantly, I'm seeing some for less than $10k,with a nice lens, used of course...but compared to the 900R which is up towards $50k or $60k+, I just wondered if anyone here has used both, or has used the 900 and if you would share your thoughts...

I'm going to be filming commercials, nothing too complex, really just a good picture is the main thing I'm going for...so shouldn't the 900 be plenty good enough?

Thanks guys,

Adam Keyes
http://www.eventreels.com

Return to posts index

Michael Shugrue
Re: F900 vs F900R
on Nov 7, 2009 at 10:42:47 pm

Watch the blocks in them. These cameras are showing their age, Yes they do make pictures. But the blocks and the upkeep can be $$$. I have sold every tape based camera with one exception the HPX-900. I went with the PDW-800 in 4 months 25% of the camera is paid off.Were not even at the olympics yet.

But the Blocks can be a issue with pixels and the cost is not cheap to fix.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:30:42 pm

Our F-900 keeps right on working. Make sure you have something with low hours if possible. The "R" has one more stop of latitude that they achieve electronically and it has HD-SDI out instead of HD Component. The R is a bit smaller and lighter.

The "R" was brought to market because of the lead in the design of the 900. Because they had to design new boards with silver solder, they decided on a total design change. The pickup block is supposed to be the same part number.

You could buy several 900s for the price of an "R" model. And, a lot of producers want the comfort and convenience of recording to tape.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:38:33 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Steve, thanks alot for that info. I wish there was an easier way of figuring that kind of stuff out! :)

But I really do appreciate it.

Thanks!

Adam Keyes
eventreels.com

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:55:58 pm

Steve, what are your thoughts on image look and quality between f900R and 700/800 ?

best
Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 25, 2009 at 5:02:54 am

My effects guy, who spends his life looking at pixels and he has looked at all of them, says this: "There is a reason that the F-900 cost 4 times as much."

Quite frankly, I would sure like to have an 800 and it's the camera that I recommend these days, as well as the 700.

Our 900 still goes out on a lot of jobs, to the same people who have used the RED camera and it doesn't go for what the RED goes for.

Tangible media is going to be around for a long time, whether it be tape or BluRay discs. Sony has had 100Gb discs for some time but where are they? Recording files to cards or a drive is risky.

However, a future upgrade to the 9000 will be a file recorder.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

James Martin
on Feb 18, 2010 at 10:48:03 am

I have just purchased my own F900/3, can't say I regret the decision one bit. The best thing is all of my purchases, lenses, tripod and so on can pretty much translate to bigger and better cameras, through the R to the F23.

One should take the size of the things into account, even though the F900R is slightly smaller (10% according to sony, I think), this is exacerbated by the fact the 900/3 needs the additional HDCA-901 out the back if you want HD-SDI or the 3/4 XLR channels.

In europe there's the 750P which is a great alternative, 10 bit ADC instead of 12, but the 790P fixed that (rumour is the 790p is a f900r without 24p/60i)

Best,
JM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]