FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD to SD-DVD or Blu-Ray Disc: best Workflow on FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alessio Gemma
XDCAM HD to SD-DVD or Blu-Ray Disc: best Workflow on FCP
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:54:39 pm

Hello to everybody,
I’m Italian and my English could be not good… I hope you can under stand what I want to discuss with you, XDCAM experts!

I need some help to finf the best workflow using Final Cut Pro to produce an SD-DVD or Blu-Ray from clips shooted with a Sony PDW-700 (XDCAM HD). I know that this format use long GOP 'temporal' compression: reading in some forums, it seems that when encoding from these codecs to MPEG2, the quality of the finished MPEG2 video may leave something to be desired. While not everyone experiences this problem, for others it can be a real issue.
It seems there is a way around this problem: export your XDCAM HD video from the FCP timeline to Apple's ProRes 422 codec, a 10-bit, full raster, high quality frame-based codec designed to preserve quality. ProRes 422 files can be encoded to MPEG2 (in Compressor or DVD SP) producing high quality video. You can export XDCAM HD from the FCP timeline to ProRes 422, using Export 'QuickTime with Conversion': it does work well.

Someone can confirm this workflow?

Another question: if you want to color correct a sequence that contains XDCAM media? I found this workflow:

1. Create a new Sequence inside the project where XDCAM HD files has been imported;

2. Right click on the new Sequence and set the QuickTime Video Compressor Setting in the "General" tab to ProRes;

3. In the "Settings" tab set the "Video Processing" tab for "Render All Material in 10 Bit YUV" radio button, with "Best" option in the "Motion Filtering Quality" pull down menu;

4. In the Sequence Settings "Render Control" tab set the Render Control to ProRes 422.

5. Drag the imported XDCAM HD clip sto this new sequence sequence. You will get a green line, which means you need to render everything (the green line material will play, but it does affect resolution).;

Working with a ProRes timeline will take a bit more disk space, but ProRes is a very good codec to do color correction in and do other rendering.
Do you agree with this??

Any reply will be very appreciated!!

Regards,
Alessio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]