FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difficult decision - F900 and EX3 coming in at same price

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Marks
Difficult decision - F900 and EX3 coming in at same price
on Jul 28, 2009 at 9:27:49 am

Hi

I was hoping I could get a little help with a problem that’s causing me sleepless nights. - I’m due to be shooting a funded dramatic short in 2 weeks and I have to decide between two camera options:

I have been offered separate rental agreements that equate to the same amount of money (including media) for a Sony F900 (not R) and Sony EX3. Both are coming with a P+S Technic Pro 35 Adapter and a set of Video Prime lenses.

The F900 is clearly the better deal in terms of price, but I have limited budget for edit so would have to shoot on HDCAM tape and convert to DVCPro HD for an offline edit. If we shot on the EX3 I’d stick with the XDCAM for the edit.

What I want to know is which do you think will look better/be the best to work with – the DVCPro HD shot on the F900 with its bigger chips and colour space, or the slightly less hassle, more modern EX3?

The shoot is almost entirely external by the way, with only a 1K lighting rig and a couple of Kinos, and if we shot on F900 we’d have a Miranda for back-up. Final output is going to be both HD and SD (DVD).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Dave

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: Difficult decision - F900 and EX3 coming in at same price
on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:41:40 am

I,d go with the F900 for sure.. rather than a prosumer camera.. unless your going into a war zone or climbing a mountain .. :)

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 30, 2009 at 8:26:17 am

Get a solid state recorder for that F-900 and avoid the cost of tape if that's an issue. You could buy one, use it for your project and sell it when you're done, or simply rent it.

We have both and the F-900 image has a completely different feel than the EX-1.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Kevin Curdan
on Aug 2, 2009 at 5:12:36 pm

Go with the Sony F900 rental.

I've owned a Sony F900 since 2003 and work for Saturnalia Productions in Los Angeles - http://www.saturnaliaproductions.com The Sony F900 is the best HD ENG camera I've used and I've focused on HD since 1999 and the 700A. If you're shooting a short narrative, the Sony F900 and a telephoto lens will give you a much shallower depth-of-field and a much better image than the EX3.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]