FORUMS: list search recent posts

what lens are you using with your PDW-700?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
what lens are you using with your PDW-700?
on Jul 16, 2009 at 2:33:33 pm

Hey Guys,

Working on a proposal for a 700 camera purchase. I'll be doing a lot of interview style documentary and podcast type shoots.

I'm looking @ the Canon - H17ex7.6B-IRSE lens. Anyone using this? Does it work for interviews in smaller offices? I need something with a decent wide angle...but the price can't get too crazy.

What lenses are you other 700 owners using?

P.S. What does the IRSE or IASE appendix to the name mean?

P.P.S. If I had the option of 2 lenses...what 2 lens combination complement each other well. The other type of shooting I may do would be very tight macro type shooting of small products.

Return to posts index

Thomas Kist
Re: what lens are you using with your PDW-700?
on Jul 17, 2009 at 12:58:24 pm

Hi Jason,

I use a Canon 11x4.7 and an 21x7.5.
But I was lucky to get the wide angle as a very good second hand one and the 21 was a demo with a good price.
The list prices for these are outrageous.
Together they make a nice pair but I can imagine that for you it would be easier to have just one lens. For instance Fujinon's 16x6.3 with extender. That would allow you to do almost everything with just that lens. And its just that little bit wider than the Canon 17x7.6 that comes in very handy in tight situations.
for the full explanation of the appendix look at:
http://www.canon.com/bctv/products/index_hdtv.html
It tells you what features the lens has (extender, focus, image size etc.)
Don't decide to quickly, lenses tend to have a lot of margin if you buy a complete set, there is a lot of room for negotiating there.
Good Luck!
T.

Thomas Kist
Freelance D.o.P
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
PDW-700,EX-3&Letus,FCP 6
http://www.thomaskist.com

Return to posts index

Peter Beeh
on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:22:28 am

I use Fujinon ZA 12x4.5 wide and 22x long. Very happy with both, but they cost $. Even these expensive lenses along with the even more pricey, but similar Fujinon HA series and Canon equivalent suffer from some pronounced Chromatic Abberation under some circumstances. It looks like you are considering a lower grade lens, so beware and test before you commit dollars to a package to ensure you are comfortable and understand any potential limitations. The new 700 firmware has lens abberation compensation which only works with Fujinon M58 (which includes HD ZA and HA) series lenses. This may help with the problem (yet to test). I understand canon has yet to announce support for the new firmware option, but will...

Return to posts index

Michael Shugrue
on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:00:58 pm

I have a Canon 22x 7.6 and a Canon 10x 4.5
Fujinon has them in the same range as well.
I do not think I will order the 2x ext again for any more lenses the cost does not justify how many times I have used them. You would save you a few bucks as well.

Another option is the rental markets are hurting
You could get a deal on a long term rental and see what your clients are looking for as well.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 22, 2009 at 8:18:57 pm

Thanks guys for the input...I'm still working on it. Just trying to justify a 20K lens vs. a 8K lens...to non-TV guys, it's a challenge!

Good information though...

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:23:12 pm

Tested the Canon HJ17x7.6, and performance was decent, along the same lines as other HD lenses ie HJ22.
The difference between IRSE and IASE is that the IASE has connections for remote focus control, needed for OB stuff with a focus demand on one handle and zoom on the other.
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]