FORUMS: list search recent posts

Self closing rubber eyepiece

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sheeren
Self closing rubber eyepiece
on Apr 25, 2009 at 9:48:08 pm

Good Afternoon All:

I am looking for a new self-closing rubber eyepiece that Sony and/or Panasonic are sending out now. The best way I can describe it is that when you press your eye to the rubber eyecup an internal pie-wedge-shaped baffle presses open to allow viewing of the finder. When you release your eye pressure from the eyepiece, these pie-shaped wedges close together so as to not allow sunlight or bright lights to stream down the eyepiece and damaged the LCD viewfinder.
I have tried 16x9 and Filmtools, but to no avail. Do know who might carry this product? Thanks for any assistance you can send my way.

Sincerely,

John

John Sheeren
DP/Op/AC
Houston, Texas
713-385-7595
johnsheeren@att.net

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
Re: Self closing rubber eyepiece
on Apr 26, 2009 at 9:14:41 am

Why on earth would you want one of these? With film cameras it was there to stop the film fogging by light going down the eyepiece but with video cams this is not an issue. From my experience with it it was always a pain as you have to put a certain amount of pressure on the eyepiece with your eye so causing a bit of vibration to the image when using long lenses. On my Arri SR I always disabled it!
Steve

Return to posts index

John Sheeren
on Apr 26, 2009 at 6:25:41 pm

Good Morning Steve:

There is an issue with "direct" sunlight going down the eyepiece. It doesn't fog the recorded image as in film production but it can and does permanently damage the viewfinder LCD screen. With the new color viewfinders, this becomes very expensive, very quickly. I have found that Panavision has adopted these new cups and that they are being distributed by 16x9. Rather expensive, but much less costly than a new viewfinder.

Sincerely,

John

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:22:56 am

Hi John,
Yes I understand that, and it's a fair point, just that I've never had an issue with it and I can honestly say that I don't know of anyone else who ever had either - do you?
Sorry I can't help with you actual question though, I've never came across them.
Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 27, 2009 at 8:20:53 am

I think its only very recently that viewfinders are being made with LCD screens... thats why it has never been an issue before.

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
on Apr 27, 2009 at 8:54:35 am

I seem to recall that it's always been noted in the manuals of Digibetas etc. from years back not to let the viewfinder point at the sun, so I don't think it is a new issue, just that I've never heard of anyone having it damage theirs.
Steve

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 27, 2009 at 9:05:44 am

But the fact that Sony and Pana have put out this product it must have some bearing on the new colour LCD view finders,than the older CRT type,although yes your right it did say on my digibeta manual to avoid direct sunlight into the viewfinder..

I used to screw down the Arri eyepiece too!!! real pain in the arse! Aaton design was better.. :)

Return to posts index

Steve Holmes
on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:26:49 pm

BandPro in Burbank CA has what you're looking for, give David Rosner a call at 818.841.9655. I think BandPro might be running a special on this item.

Steve Holmes

Sony PDW-700
Sony EX-1
Ikegami V-55

"A cameraman without a camera is just a man."

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on May 11, 2009 at 11:23:48 pm

John,

James Lee at 16 X 9 inc. is YOUR man! They are a subsidiary of Band Pro in LA... if Not, Nir Reeches at 888-BAND PRO will get you one too!

They are KILLER! Sony and Pana are NOT shipping cameras with these... the ones you've seen in magazines and such are these from 16 X 9.

Good luck.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F800/F350/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]