FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-700 Owners - Please Read

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Gibbons
PDW-700 Owners - Please Read
on Apr 22, 2009 at 4:07:10 pm

Hello all,

As a 700 owner I am a bit upset at Sony's decision to create a completely different line of camera with the introduction of the PDW-800. I just purchased my 700 in February and I was made to believe that the 700 would be "current" for the foreseeable future, especially with the promised upgrades in June. Now Sony has dumped the entire "700" series with the introduction of the 800. I am hoping that there are others out there who agree with me and want to do something about it. I propose that we contact Sony en mass, and ask that they offer current PDW-700 owners two options:

1. An ability to upgrade our cameras and have them re-designated PDW-800

and/or

2. Create a trade-in program so that recent 700 owners can upgrade to an 800 for a discounted rate when they become available.

As a freelance cameraman, I make my living by having the most popular cameras available to my network clients. More often than not I am contacted by Production Coordinators or Producers who have been tasked to find a crew with a specific camera in a specific area of the country. If Sony choose to call this new camera the "750" then it would have been a lot easier to sell my 700 as being in the "700 series" but Sony's decision to designate it as the "800" has ensured that I will lose rentals come June, hurting my bottom line.

Technology does change rapidly but this camera has only been available to the general public for 3 months. It is ridiculous for Sony to schedule a replacement so quickly - putting at risk the profitability of those customers that paid a premium for their latest and greatest offerings.

I believe that if enough of us organize and approach Sony as a group, we will be heard and our concerns will be addressed. If you are interested in joining this group and are willing to provide your PDW-700's serial number, please email me and I will compile a list of individuals so that we can continue this conversation via mass email.

Strength in numbers people.

Tim Gibbons

tim@gibbonsvideography.com

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
Re: PDW-700 Owners - Please Read
on Apr 22, 2009 at 8:50:15 pm

Agree entirely, in fact suggested just this to my dealer. One slight problem is that it seems for some reason that the 700 is not upgradeable to do under/overcranking.
Steve

Return to posts index

Erich Roland
Re: PDW-700 Owners - Please Read
on Jul 1, 2009 at 9:33:57 am

Tim, one problem with this idea is the 700 product is so new that there are not that many owners to react en-mass. That the camera didn't have 24p available kept many early buyers away. The horrid economy kept many other potential buyers away.

The confusing pro-camcorder market and fast changing technology has kept everyone else away from buying new technology in general.

Try going to your dealer and see if you can work out a trade in.

best, ER

Erich Roland
http://www.dc-camera.com
HD camera rentals, Washington DC
(and Cameraman)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]