FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Window Burns

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Nelson
XDCAM Window Burns
on Apr 16, 2009 at 6:43:50 pm

I'm hoping someone will have an easy workflow for providing time code window burns to a client from XDCAM clips. I can't just send them the MXF files, because they don't have a viewer or proper QT codecs. Do I have to individually compress all of the clips to a file format they can view? I'm using Avid Media Composer 3.0.5. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Halperin
Re: XDCAM Window Burns
on Apr 19, 2009 at 10:03:29 pm

The software for the viewer is free, and not very difficult to install. Just talk them through it. This would be the easiest way to go, by far.

You could also make DVD's with timecode burned in (realtime dub) playing back from the camera or a deck to a standalone DVD recorder.

Otherwise, I'd say you're looking at compressing the clips to whatever flavor they need.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:27:40 am

This used to be standard fare for years. We would shoot hours of tape and then make multiple VHS window dubs from the originals. This has now become a complicated task. Too bad there isn't a way to export a simple set of proxies with a TC window or whatever.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Apr 22, 2009 at 1:07:53 pm

That would make sense. I suppose that if the proxies were easily exportable with Time Code, they wouldn't be easily importable into Avids and FCPs. But aren't they just Mp4s with an MXF wrapper? And also, would it be so bad to have time code burned into all the proxies? That might actually make off-line editing easier.

We've got a system here set up with Windows Encoder that can do live WMVs of any source. I'm thinking I'll just send monitor out of the camera and just play it into the encoder machine. Seems like the best option at this point. Thanks for all the input.

VHS? So, the clients would need a deck? Perposterous!

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]