FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW 700 XDCAM HD Setup Files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Froud
PDW 700 XDCAM HD Setup Files
on Apr 2, 2009 at 9:54:22 am

Hi, I am just about to upgrade from a DSR570 to a PDW 700 HDCAM HD camera (I pick it up next week), but I am slightly confused about how to set this camera up. I am happy scrolling through the menu structure, it is the settings that I have my concerns about.

I have read Alan Roberts report on setting the camera up for a BBC wildlife shoot, but I mainly shoot actuality documentary and need a look to compliment that. From what I understand the detail is too sharp on the camera and needs to be adjusted down to -20, yet I have read on some forums that this can be too soft...

Alan also suggests turning off the black gamma for light entertainment and sports. Is the black gamma the same as the hyper gamma? I can find no reference to hyper gamma in the menu's listed in Alans report, but I know from Sony's website that the pdw 700 is supposed to have Hyper gamma.

I will be mainly shooting 1080i in PAL. Does anyone have any ideas as to a good basic set up to use for this camera? Any insight would be greatfully received!

Return to posts index

Tim Gibbons
Re: PDW 700 XDCAM HD Setup Files
on Apr 20, 2009 at 4:19:07 pm

Hey Colin,

I own a 700 and first and foremost you may want to re-think the purchase as Sony just announced the release of the PDW-800 (June) which will do 24p and Variable Fram Rate out of the box. It's retailing for $42k. As for set-up. I shipped my camera off to Roger Macie in Boston (781-326-3135) and he did a professional set-up for me. He also created multiple files for high contrast settings, low contrast and various other situations. I am completely sold on using him (as I have done for the past 10 years). In my mind he's well worth the money.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 22, 2009 at 11:41:17 am

Tim, how do you save those setups outside the camera and can you save everything? If you rent a second camera, can you match it all completely?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Tim Gibbons
on Apr 22, 2009 at 3:23:30 pm

You can save the files to a Sony "Memory Stick" (like a very long SD Card). As to whether two cameras would match . . . . I don't think that ever happens perfectly - slightly different chip set, different lenses. Still I've never had a problem matching cameras in post.

Return to posts index

George Featherby
on Aug 8, 2010 at 11:16:01 pm

Hi Tim,

Would you be prepared to share your PDW700 setups/scene files on-line on the PDW700 User Group on Vimeo?

There is already a Scene Files thread on the forum where a link / file could be placed. All us PDW700 owners would be very grateful!

Of course, any other PDW700 wisdom/advice would also be very much appreciated!

Thanks

George

Freelance PDW700 & EX1 Operator (London)
http://www.cameramaneditor.com

Return to posts index

Tim Gibbons
on Aug 20, 2010 at 5:18:47 pm

Hi George,

I'm unable to share my scene files as they were created professionally by a company called Macie Video out of Milton, Ma. They have been servicing my cameras for over 11 years now and they do an excellent job. I wouldn't want to take money out of their pockets by putting those settings out there.

I'm more than happy to give advice though. I'm currently producing a series for TLC called "Sister Wives" and we use the PDW-700 as our primary camera.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]