FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrix Mystery

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Dowdle
Matrix Mystery
on Mar 16, 2009 at 6:19:33 pm

I am a professional cameraman and I shoot with a lot of cameras. The F900 is not one I use a lot, but maybe 15 days a year, so I don't get the opportunity to study it as well as I might.

Recently I was on a job with one and someone had evidently gone crazy with the Matrix settings. Nothing I could do would make the picture look any better than close, and I could find no way to restore factory defaults.

I wonder if anyone can give me, or give me a link to, a simple discussion of the matrix settings on the F900. I'm looking for a big-picture overview, plus some simple guidelines. Here are some questions. What is the difference between Matrix and User Matrix. How can I have one on and the other off? How do I restore default settings? What numbers constitute normal? How do I interpret the matrix settings grid, when it has R, G & B along both axes? To what do these numbers actually refer? Do the settings I create apply to the preset white balance, or any white balance I take? Should I take a white balance, then adjust the matrix, so I don't correct my settings right back out? If I turn both matrix settings off, where does that leave me? Factory default?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Matrix Mystery
on Mar 16, 2009 at 7:27:41 pm

Jason,

Matrix settings are a powerful tool to either create more accurate color reproduction or alternately to create a color look that is stronger for any particular color. Another use of matrix is to match multiple cameras of different models or manufacture.

When the camera comes from the factory the matrix is usually tuned off and the numbers are all zeroed. You can easily recreate this state by going to the Paint menu of the F900 and with the rotary switch resetting them one by one. You can also reset factory defaults either in the All File (clear all preset) or Scene File (standard). In all my cameras I record the factory presets in the "Reference" file and this provides another method of resetting to factory defaults, by loading reference file.

If you happen to have a waveform/vecorscope and a DSC Chroma du Monde chart you can setup the matrix to optimize color reproduction by first adjusting all the b&w functions (white, black, gamma, flare, etc) then englarging the vecorscope pattern to 2x and placing the six main colors in the boxes (red, magenta, blue, cyan, green and yellow) and then with Multi Martrix adjusting the three colors between each of the main six. These are considered user matrix if you make the adjustments with user matrix on and matrix off, or they can be considered matrix of user matrix is off and matrix is on.

Some cameras will have matrix tables to offer you other presets.

Hope this helps.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]