FORUMS: list search recent posts

matching 510 and 700

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Brown
matching 510 and 700
on Mar 7, 2009 at 7:21:13 pm

I have a shoot Monday for ABC using one of their 510s as a third camera and, of course, shooting in DVCam. Any suggestions on how to match PDW700 to ABC's XDCam setup? Is there a relationship between the different cameras' similar menus?
Also, what detail setting do you like for the standard def detail on the 700?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: matching 510 and 700
on Mar 7, 2009 at 7:55:37 pm

Hi David,

I've successfully matched 700 and 510/530's on previous ABC shoot but had the benefit of RMB750 CCU's a digital waveform/vectorscope, DSC Chroma du Monde chart and enough time to do so. The cameras looked identical!

One thing to be aware of is a genlock issue; because the 700 is a HD camera it will only "lock" to a trilevel sync, whereas the 510/530 wants conventional NTSC black burst. I was able to lock them both because my Evertz sync generator puts out both signals (as does a AJA Gen-Ten I believe). The genlock becomes important in assuring time code accuracy and for glitch free switching in camera setup (if you have three cameras you'll need a router or ideally a Panasonic 400 switcher which will frame shake, route and provide quad split multiviewer - just be sure to have at least one of the optional HD/SD-SDI input boards to upconvert the 510 into the switcher). If it's one of ABC's SD XDCAMs it will have SDI out.

When I use the 700 for SD output I also turn on the SD detail which is defaulted "off".

If you don't have CCU's, test set and chart to paint a colorful matching matrix, I would opt to turn matrix off and match gammas; the default on the 700 is Standard #5 which is 709 (an HD standard). My recollection is that Standard #1 is for SD camera match. Default on 510/530 is Standard #3, but there really is no documentation to say what that is! Again, you'd have to look at a chip chart and pick best gamma match.

Good luck,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved