FORUMS: list search recent posts

matching 510 and 700

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Brown
matching 510 and 700
on Mar 7, 2009 at 7:21:13 pm

I have a shoot Monday for ABC using one of their 510s as a third camera and, of course, shooting in DVCam. Any suggestions on how to match PDW700 to ABC's XDCam setup? Is there a relationship between the different cameras' similar menus?
Also, what detail setting do you like for the standard def detail on the 700?

Thanks!
db

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: matching 510 and 700
on Mar 7, 2009 at 7:55:37 pm

Hi David,

I've successfully matched 700 and 510/530's on previous ABC shoot but had the benefit of RMB750 CCU's a digital waveform/vectorscope, DSC Chroma du Monde chart and enough time to do so. The cameras looked identical!

One thing to be aware of is a genlock issue; because the 700 is a HD camera it will only "lock" to a trilevel sync, whereas the 510/530 wants conventional NTSC black burst. I was able to lock them both because my Evertz sync generator puts out both signals (as does a AJA Gen-Ten I believe). The genlock becomes important in assuring time code accuracy and for glitch free switching in camera setup (if you have three cameras you'll need a router or ideally a Panasonic 400 switcher which will frame shake, route and provide quad split multiviewer - just be sure to have at least one of the optional HD/SD-SDI input boards to upconvert the 510 into the switcher). If it's one of ABC's SD XDCAMs it will have SDI out.

When I use the 700 for SD output I also turn on the SD detail which is defaulted "off".

If you don't have CCU's, test set and chart to paint a colorful matching matrix, I would opt to turn matrix off and match gammas; the default on the 700 is Standard #5 which is 709 (an HD standard). My recollection is that Standard #1 is for SD camera match. Default on 510/530 is Standard #3, but there really is no documentation to say what that is! Again, you'd have to look at a chip chart and pick best gamma match.

Good luck,

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]