FORUMS: list search recent posts

Visible timecode from video out from F900R?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Cardno
Visible timecode from video out from F900R?
on Aug 28, 2008 at 8:51:57 pm

This has been driving us nuts for a while so I'm throwing the question out to the collective brain: is there a way to get timecode up in a monitor from the video out from an F900R? We don't have the downconvert board installed but it sure seems that this should be a standard function -- does anyone know where this option is in the camera, assuming it exists?

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Stephen May
Re: Visible timecode from video out from F900R?
on Aug 29, 2008 at 12:55:48 am

Chris,

It's likely that you already know this, so it may be annoying to read, but just in case:

Seing the Timecode is an option when playing from a deck that has a composite "Super" out. (superimpose) - Although the TC is embedded in the video signal, it generally isn't an option to output that from a camera.

That said, I'm not familiar with the F900R and perhaps it can be done... It's not an option on many other Sony Broadcast cameras that I've used.

-s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Aug 29, 2008 at 6:24:37 am

call BandPro at 818-841-9655 and ask Micheal Bravin or Jeff Cree.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 29, 2008 at 1:17:36 pm

You can get viable time code out the test spiget, but must have a HD monitor capable of analog component input, like the Panasonic 8.4".

JS

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:02:20 pm

Thanks, folks. We've got the viewfinder display up in the 8.4" monitor so we have timecode but it's black and white as we don't have a 1:3 component BNC cable handy. Still, it's nice to have the option for upcoming shoots until we get the right cable.

As always, the help is much appreciated.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:09:55 pm

Chris,

It's not a metter of "proper cable", you only get one channel at a time out of the test spigot (Y, Pb, Pr) so what you've got is all you're going to get. Sorry, but you'll have to make good with B&W pic with visable TC. For color, you'll need add'l monitor connected to HD-SDI spigot. The only way to get both is with internal downcovert card.

JS

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Aug 29, 2008 at 3:41:33 pm

Thanks for letting me know -- and looping through the 8.4" monitor will most definitely work.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Bruce Schultz
on Aug 30, 2008 at 12:41:18 am

Seems like this is more than obvious also, but the TC is embedded in the HDSDI output along with audio. Many devices will display the TC from this source - I use my Leader 5750 to do it, but many of the new monitors will do this also.

JS is right, you are only going to get the Y (Green/Luminance) signal out of the Test output and looping through won't get you full color.

Bruce Schultz
F900R/EX-1 Owner/Oper.
LA-based IATSE 600

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Aug 30, 2008 at 3:43:19 pm

Bruce, JC,

Thanks for your posts, this was one of the most concise posts I've read and I appreciate it!
Bruce - I was IATSE in Orlando, but it was a long time ago. Thanks again!

-s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]