FORUMS: list search recent posts

lens mount coversion

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Flor
lens mount coversion
on Jun 23, 2008 at 9:09:15 pm

Hi. I'd like to convert a Sony camera (new PDW 700) mount to accept interchangable 35mm lenses. I've done some research online but all I've found is the P&S Technic system. Now at $27.000.00 it seems a bit steep. Is there a cheaper way to do it?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: lens mount coversion
on Jun 23, 2008 at 11:41:09 pm

Sure Red Rock, Letus, etc. Lots of options out there.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Jun 24, 2008 at 3:24:56 am

Redrock's adapter looks interesting and the price is certainly a lot easier to take. Not sure if it will work with the bigger Sony HD cameras. I'll email them and ask. Thanks Noah.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 24, 2008 at 3:47:36 pm

It's also worth considering the total costs of adapting your camera vs. getting a camera that has a cinema lens mount built in. For example you've got the RED body which accepts PL-mounts out of the box at $17.5- good luck getting one in a hurry. Also the Silicon Imaging's SI-2K- is a lot easier to get a hold of and shoots 2K to PL-Mounts and a wide variety of other mounts via their P+S Technic Interchange mount. Finally you could look at the Sony EX3 which has a removable lens that can be more readily adapted to cinema lenses.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:49:47 pm

Funny you should mention the RED. I'm also looking at that option, as a matter of fact I'm on the list. But the Sony does have it's advantages although Sony has raised the price of the PDW 700 even though it isn't even available yet. So A basic RED package and the 700 are now about the same price without glass. So I'm trying to decide between the two.

The RED's image is way better but post is still a bit bizare. Sony's post is easier and I wouldn't have to pack up the camera and ship it to California if something goes wrong. But, once you stick a half decent HD lens on the Sony we are talking 45-50K total. The price point stays the same if I can use Nikon still lenses on either camera. The RED's Nikon mount is simple and elegant but adapting a 35mm lens to a 2/3 imager looks like bit of a clunky process.

I'm going to a Sony demo of the 700 next week and I wanted to know what my lens options are. My partner, is very nervous about the tapeless workflow. She'd like to be able to hold the tape/disc in her hand and so would like us to go with the Sony. I have until October to decide.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 25, 2008 at 3:30:46 am

Just so that you're aware, the PDW700 doesn't carry the CineAlta logo, so it doesn't do 24p. I know, I know.......It was designed with ENG work in mind.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Jun 27, 2008 at 9:49:48 pm

You're right and although 24p is coming it going to be pricey. It won't be a simple upgrade to the 700. In true Sony fashion of always holding a carrot on a stick in front of you no matter what model you choose or how much you spend, 24p 1080P is going to be a whole new model probably the PDW 750 or something. And in order to maximize the big price jump they'll tart up the camera a bit with film gizmos. But don't expect to see it until they have sold their quota of 700's. With the 700 running around $50,000
with medium priced glass and viewfinder I'd guess a 24p camera would be mid to upper 60's easily.

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Mar 7, 2009 at 8:45:13 pm

LETUS is just releasing a B4 adapter, that allows the use of PL or Nikon 35mm lenses on a 2/3 camera. It would cost about $8k to buy the (2) pieces of LETUS equipment to make this work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]