FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why no Color Viewfinders?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Why no Color Viewfinders?
on Jun 5, 2008 at 10:27:55 pm

One of my camera-operators asked me why viewfinders aren't in color. I don't remember. Can anyone tell me. I was told years and years ago that black and white is better for a more accurate focus. Is that why? Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Why no Color Viewfinders?
on Jun 5, 2008 at 11:38:57 pm

Thomas,

Whatever "you were told" ten years ago is no longer true. The reason you don't have a color viewfinder is that it's an expensive accessory on high end cameras. The second generation $10K+ color viewfinder for the F900R (that also goes on the F23/35)is a gorgeous, highly desirable option on these cameras vs. the $3K B&W version. It's resolution is equal to or greater than the monochrome.

In response to buyer demand, Sony did show a more moderately priced alternative color VF at NAB last and this part will probably find acceptance on the PDW700 HD cameras where the VF (both B&W and Color) is an a la carte option.

JS

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 6, 2008 at 8:46:01 pm

Also the technology to create small usable color viewfinders on camcorders wasn't quite there ten years ago. At least not with enough resolution to enable good focus. Nowadays though we have them. The Sony HDVF-C35W for example is a work of art.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 9, 2008 at 8:48:08 pm

Agreed - it's a stunning VF

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]