FORUMS: list search recent posts

F900 Travel Case

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
F900 Travel Case
on Jan 22, 2008 at 2:40:36 am

Anyone tried the Portabrace Smuggler case? I need a new production case for my F900 and I travel alot with it..... each time I go through security they make me take the camera out of the case and put it on the belt with the lens! I hate doing this, therefore I'm looking for other solutions. You have to break the camera down to make it fit, but at least the lens stays in the case. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.... thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: F900 Travel Case
on Jan 22, 2008 at 5:42:11 am

That smuggler is probably the best case for what you do. Because of the weight of the lens, it's really hard on the mount when the camera travels with the lens hanging off of the front of it.

And a note here: Last year, I was traveling cross country with one of our Sony DSR-300s, a shoulder mount DVCAM. We had a small plane for part of the trip and there was no where for the camera to reside. The delightful flight attendant told me that it had to travel below but they would be especially careful with it. When we landed and they retrieved my camera, the viewfinder was completely ripped from it's mount. I filed a claim and their response was that they are not responsible for camera gear and that I should have packed it better. (U.S. Airways)
Of course, this turned into a pissing match as I said that I always carry it with me and they took it from my safe keeping and promised to treat it gently. They also dropped a tripod on it's head (soft case) and the wedge plate is impossible to slide in and out.

Good luck with that.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jan 22, 2008 at 6:54:10 am

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback..... sorry to hear about your viewfinder! Yes the airlines are great at treating your gear rough, then taking no responsibility for the damage. I recently had my Arri HMI banged up enough to break the reflector, leaving the bulb hanging out of it's socket.... I can't imagine what kind of force it took to do that through a anvil case packed with plenty of padding! Perhaps a case throwing contest between the guys loading the plane?

One question..... have you used the Smuggler Case? I was wondering how it performed as a "car case" around town. I usually keep the camera on the back seat in the case, then pull the camera out for B-Roll or to take into locations for interviews, etc... I know there is no perfect solution, but the case has to work running around town in addition to being good for going through airports and on planes. Thanks again for the feedback.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 22, 2008 at 8:37:17 am

Ive used the smuggler case for years,its very good,expect some airlines,happened to me with BA.. wouldnt allow it as hand baggage,not because of size,but weight.
They made me buy a ticket for it!!! when I got on the plane I was told it couldnt be in a seat but had to be in the overhead lockers.. where I wanted to put it in the first place.
No money back,and I would only get on a BA flight if someone was shooting a gun at me in the airport and all other flights were full... really..

But back to your question,the smuggler is not so great for working out of,as the camera doesnt fit in the case with a lens on,well a zoom lens anyway.I usually put clothes in my normal portabrace bag,and thats fine in the hold,its a big soft padded one,then use this one on location,and use the smuggler,with the viewfinder area folded away, as a sort of camera assist bag ie tapes and batteries.

works well.

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jan 22, 2008 at 7:04:56 pm

Robin,

I never thought about putting my clothes into the other case and switching everything once at the location.... very interesting approach. I have friend who breaks his camera down into a rolling 1510 Pelican Case, keeping the lens in his day pack. Many of my shoots are day shoots, so we hit the ground running. I've even carried the camera without a case, resting it on a jacket in the overhead, but I don't like having the camera that exposed. Please keep the ideas coming.... the hardest part of the process is laying the camera on the belt, hoping the security person catches it before it hits the metal rollers!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 23, 2008 at 12:53:57 am

I've used the smuggler one time and had good results but, like Bill said, it's not good for run and gun. I use a carry-on bag for everyday. On a plane, I usually put it in the overhead on my jacket or airline blanket. People see it and don't get near it, usually. Sometimes it travels under the seat in front of me with a battery, tape and mic ready to go. You never know...

A few years back (12), I went to Iowa for PetSmart to shoot an interview and the airline lost my baggage including my tripod and mic. I had a battery and tape with me so I was able to use a barstool chair for stix, a garage light and used the on camera mic to get my interview done. Now, I travel with my necessities on my person and my clothes go in the camera bag.

The airlines have been my worst night mare. I could tell 20 horror stories.

That smuggler is still the best for on board the plane though. We just bought a small Sony EX-1 so it's getting easier even though you have to give up a little camera functionality.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 23, 2008 at 2:28:50 am

Alot of airports will make you take it out of the smuggler case to go through the xray machines,often have to put it sideways in also.But yes I know the desperate grab before the rollers dance.

The smuggler is great for travelling with the camera,lens off and eye piece off,it comes with 2 padded bags for these,some hard partitions,but not really good or designed as a working out of case.And so by trial and error I came up with my way of using both cases.
If you have a driver,and a nice big van,you can just hold onto the camera,or make a safe nest area for it,and just use the smuggler as an accessory case.

Also found in the US where alot of the domestic flights are in small planes,the smuggler wont fit into the over head lockers,which is a problem,as the attendants then want to sling it into a cupboard miles from your seat,which can only end in tears.Not so bad in Europe/Asia where even quite short flights they use large planes.

Return to posts index

Peter Rummel
on Jan 25, 2008 at 6:22:39 pm

I use the Kata version of the smuggler, and I like it a lot. I take off the lens and the viewfinder, put them in pouches, pack it all up with a battery and I'm ready to travel. It fits the airlines' carry on rules and is much easier to carry through airports. I still (usually) have to take the camera body out of the case for security, but so far no one has asked me to turn it on.

The Kata is also terrible to work out of. But when I'm on location I usually have the matte box attached, so a regular camera case wouldn't work anyway. I make a nest for the camera in the back of the car or I carry it on my lap.

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jan 25, 2008 at 6:26:43 pm

Peter,

Thanks for your input, I was just looking at the Kata case earlier today and wondering how it would work. Does the case fit into the overhead compartment of most airlines with the trolley attached?

Return to posts index

Peter Rummel
on Jan 26, 2008 at 10:20:49 pm

I don't use the trolley, but I would guess that the case would fit into the overhead with it attached. The case is just a tad smaller than your generic wheelie suitcase, so there should be room for the trolley.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]