FORUMS: list search recent posts

artifacts

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FABlack
artifacts
on Dec 31, 2007 at 1:40:05 am

I am currently shooting a project in China with an F900R rented here. I am using a Sony LMD 9050 field monitor and am shooting without a trained DIT. (I do have a guy supplied by the rental house but he is more a helper than an engineer) In the footage I am seeing some strange strobing in the vertical details. We are shooting 23.98 but it is not that kind of strobing. When the camera is not on the tripod and there are lots of details in a vertical element far away (like these fences here that are kind of like picket fences) I am seeing what looks like a moray pattern. I am wondering if this has to do with the difference between the camera resolution @ 1080 and the monitor resolution and so is just a monitoring problem. This project will probably make it to theatrical so I am worried about this when it gets to a large screen. I am also shooting some steadicam stuff with and HVX200 on 24pn and am not having the problem with that. I am wondering if there is some problem with the camera or this is a normal monitoring problem (though I haven't seen it previously). I am pretty sure the settings in the camera are fine because I did a replace all with a card that I had and the menus seem fine in looking through them. (detail is on and at -7) Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: artifacts
on Dec 31, 2007 at 2:51:37 pm

Probably monitor because of the downres, but this is an example of foolhardy HD economics. For a "feature" project, one must have the proper tools; in this case a native 1920x1080 monitor like an eCinema. You don't have to use it for every setup if that's too unwieldy, but to not have it available back in the truck or hotel room at night for qc results in just the anxiety you and your company are experiencing. Bottom line, it's probably ok, but with an unknown Chinese rental camera, who knows. This takes the pricipal of testing to new extremes!

JS

Return to posts index

Andrew Black
Re: artifacts
on Dec 31, 2007 at 10:13:58 pm

It is not a feature project I am on. It is an independent art documentary. The kind of film that doesn't get made without some cutting of corners. You could decide that this kind of thing should not exist and insist on protocals for a budget that can squeeze them in. Or you can decide you are going to take some risks because you think certain films should still be made. Anyhow thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]