FORUMS: list search recent posts

ABC News picks new camera!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john sharaf
ABC News picks new camera!
on Dec 21, 2007 at 9:41:43 pm

ABC Finally made their announcement today!

I am pleased to inform you that ABC has made a decision regarding its next generation ENG camera and with it a new acquisition format. The Sony PDW 510 XDCAM will replace the networks aging fleet of Ikegami HL V59 cameras. ABC has chosen to delay any commitment to an HD solution for ENG, keeping all its options open for the time being.
The new cameras will be rolled out across the domestic and foreign bureaus in the February

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: ABC News picks new camera!
on Dec 22, 2007 at 3:46:32 am

ha ha ... they're probably getting a great deal on those cameras as no one else is buying them.
when Al Jazeera International geared up in mid 2006 they were using the 510's, but only as a stop gap until the 330's were shipping in large enough volume ... hmmm, I wonder if ABC's new cameras are ex AJI ;-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 24, 2007 at 5:32:34 pm

Bean counters don't seem to understand that as HDTV ownership breaks 50% household mark that people will start watching their news elsewhere. Ratings = $. Keep in mind also that with consumer infatuation with a technology (HD) they'll watch HD news simply because it's HD even if other aspects of the reporting are "inferior."

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 25, 2007 at 12:05:27 am

Even though ABC decided not to make their field production HD doesn't mean their news will not go that way. Their morning show, GMA was the first to do so more than a year ago, and NBC's Today show has recently done the same. In addition the NBC Nightly News is now HD, although like GMA, only in the studio, relying on upconverts (at NBC) and side cut at GMA. I think ABC's World News Tonight wil do the same in short order.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 25, 2007 at 1:07:44 am

But with F335/F355 they'd be able to shoot in SD now and HD later if they wanted to move field production to HD.

Meanwhile CNN ordered a huge number of EX1s which are HD only. Not sure how they're going to handle SD when using those cameras (there are several ways on ingest though).

I just see it as dumb to buy SD only cameras when so many HD cameras can shoot SD and, in the case of the EX1, you get something that's almost at a "throw away" price for a large news division and they can gather HD now.

They're only going to have to pay again when their news gathering changes or they'll lag far behind the competition.

F330 body is about $14,800.
510 is about $16,400.
So I really don't get the reasoning.

Return to posts index

david1080p
on Dec 26, 2007 at 3:54:28 am

Wow! I'm completely shocked by this. As a freelancer I've always looked to the networks for what cameras to buy but this is insame. Wouldn't you also have to buy not just cameras but all the supporting gear as well?! SD is dead but I guess ABC didn't get the memo. As far as I know NBC is going p2 HD, and CBS will stay with XDCAM and upgrade to XDCAM HD. ABC just needs to PICK SOMETHING! Something in HD that is.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 26, 2007 at 4:08:57 am

David,

To be completely fair, ABC has stated that they will for now continue to support DVCPRO100 and HDV as their HD standards; meaning the Varicams and JVC camera that they own and use from freelancers will continue to be qualified kit. Please give ABC some credit for being the first network to go HD with one of their news division's shows, GMA, almost two years ago. NBC certainly is coming on strong with their "Today" morning show and the "Nightly News", but the net news magazines, including the granddaddy and perennial top ten "60 Minutes" continue in SD.

I understand, by the way, that NBC has ordered 100 @ F900R's for this years election and Olympic coverage. I think you are misinformed about them choosing P2. This is a bold move and a major expenditure into a tape based format and by virtue of the size of the order seems to leave the freelancers out of the kit rental business, which to me is a worse decision than that which ABC made!

The real hold up here is the delay in Sony's PDW700 2/3" HD XDCAM coming to market. While we're told that it should be here by May 2008, obviously ABC didn't believe that to be the case and I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Stay tuned!

JS

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 26, 2007 at 2:21:39 pm

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification. I still think it's crazy to by any SD gear but, maybe they know something I don't. I knew I had heard that Sony was coming out with a 2/3" XDCAM HD but then all info on it is gone! I swear I saw info about it on their (Sony's) website but now, nothing. As far as NBC going p2, Panasonic is running ads that at least make it appear that NBC is going p2 for the Olympics but maybe that's not the case?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 27, 2007 at 12:40:33 am

I did find the prelim info on the DVW-700 and I can see (or guess) why they pulled it for now: Unlike the Panasonic HVX-2000/3000 it can't record in 1080p, appears to have a standard def viewfinder, and has a compression of 50/mbps. My guess is that Sony would want the 700 to compete with the Panasonic 2000/3000 but, again, maybe I'm wrong :o)

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 27, 2007 at 12:50:29 am

I believe the PDW700 will record at 30fps in progressive mode, like the PDW510/530 although it will not provide the option of 24p like it's 2/3" SD brethren. And you're right about the 50mbps recording being wanting, I'm told that a subsequent camera (PDW750?) will have both 24p and AVC-I codec with a much improved HD recording format. As regards the viewfinder, I think it uses the same one as the B&W on the F900R and will probably offer the color viewfinder as an option, although a $10K vf on a $33K camera does not compute.

JS

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 27, 2007 at 12:53:21 am

I believe that Panasonic is the "official camera supplier" to the Olympics, so NBC (as the US broadcaster) may qualify for free use their equipment, thus the announcement and strategic alliance.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]