FORUMS: list search recent posts

F900 Fan Noise - Camera Mic

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
F900 Fan Noise - Camera Mic
on Nov 30, 2007 at 12:35:48 pm

I sometimes have to break away from my soundman and switch over to the camera mic, but the fan noise makes the camera mic almost un-usable. I've mounted a Sennheiser 416 on the camera with better results, but the capsule/windscreen end up in the feild of view of my 4.5 wide lens and it gets in the way while using my matt box . Has anyone found a good short capsule shotgun mic that will work well with the F900? Other solutions?

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television
crewhawaii.tv

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: F900 Fan Noise - Camera Mic
on Dec 1, 2007 at 7:33:12 am

Having had the same problem, we have a mic mount that slides into the shoe and raises the mic about 4.5 inches. That camera also has a whine when it's in record. To get around the sound, simply stop recording. Solves everything.

Anybody know if the 900R has the same issue?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

edward  chick
on Dec 4, 2007 at 1:38:49 am

Have you tried the fan control setting in the operations menu?

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Dec 5, 2007 at 4:32:11 am

Ed,
No I havn't tried to reduce the fan activity, but will take a look at the menus and see if another setting may work. I'm a little apprehensive about this since the camera runs hot and I live in a fairly warm climate. Today I talked with the folks at Location Sound and ended up ordering a Sanken Shotgun Mic which is shorter than my Sennheiser 416...... I'm hoping this will at the very least be better than the mic which comes with the camera. I'm going to try to put rubber bushings in-between the mic and the mount for isolation, but if this doen't work well enough I'll add a shock mount from K-TEK. I'll make a new post when I get the rig together. Thanks for your suggestion!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]