FORUMS: list search recent posts

CineAlta-True progressive Frames?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tscraps
CineAlta-True progressive Frames?
on Aug 23, 2007 at 6:38:28 pm

Hey There,

I'm new to HD and maybe in over my head on a job coming up..The special effects house needs true progressive frames from the Cinea Alta. Can you get true progressive/non interlaced frames from a camera that out puts 1080i. If you're shooting in a 24p or 30p mode its still interlaced?

This question is probably so basic and silly but...

Thanks

Dave

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: CineAlta-True progressive Frames?
on Aug 23, 2007 at 8:45:19 pm

Want to be the smartest guy at the next Barbeque?
The term to understand with Sony F900 is PsF, Progressive Segmented Frames.
I found this on wikipedia.

Progressive segmented Frame (PsF) is a High Definition video format used to store progressive content on interlaced media.

Each progressive frame is segmented into two interlaced segments fields without interfield motion, or "combing".

Progressive segmented Frame is similar to interlaced video but lacking motion between the fields. Each "true" progressive frame is separated into "segments", with the odd lines in one segment and the even lines in the other segment. This allows for a progressive picture to be processed through the same common electronic circuitry that is used to store, process and route interlaced video. The primary difference between PsF and interlaced video is motion. In PsF there is no motion between the two segments that make up the "progressive" frame while in interlaced there is typically motion between the "fields".

PsF is not an alternative to Telecine 2:3 pulldown. Telecine 2:3 pulldown is a method of converting 23.976PsF to 59.94i for broadcast in NTSC.

Sony's CineAlta series of cameras are capable of recording directly to 23.976PsF, 24PsF and 25PsF on HDCAM tape along with the interlaced versions of those signals.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_Frame"

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]