FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Sony Hi-res HD Colour Viewfinder for NAB

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
on Mar 22, 2007 at 10:10:47 pm

It looks like Sony are releasing a new improved (aka expensive) colour viewfinder that will work with HDCAM camcorders.

"A new color viewfinder, HDVF-C35W, is being introduced and is compatible with the new HDC-1400 camera, as well as with several existing Sony cameras. The HDVF-C35W viewfinder has a 3.5-inch LCD screen (viewable area, measured diagonally) and is designed to give shooters a color viewing option in shoulder-mount applications. The new viewfinder is compatible with the following Sony HD systems: HDC-1400, HDC-1500, HDC-1550, F-23, HDW-F900R, HDW-F900, HDC-750A, HDC-F950, HDW-700A, HDW-750/P, and the HDW-790/P.

When using the new viewfinder, the camera

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: New Sony Hi-res HD Colour Viewfinder for NAB
on Mar 23, 2007 at 9:00:30 am

Not a bad price if it actually works.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Michael brennan
on Mar 24, 2007 at 10:42:25 am

HDW 790/P ???? Typo? should be HDW 730????

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on Mar 24, 2007 at 2:47:54 pm

Hi Mike,

could you kindly explain to us what the practical and technical difference are(just a short sentence or so) between the old Sony HDVF20A HD 2" Electronic Viewfinder, the Sony HDVFC30W 2.7" HD Color LCD Viewfinder, the Sony HDVF-C35W viewfinder, AND the AccuScene VF1280S. (It

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Mar 24, 2007 at 4:53:40 pm

Hi Paul,
other than the press release I know little more about it.
But dont let that stop me having an opinion about it :)

There doesnt seem to be a ultra high res 3.5 inch on hte market.
But LCD. 3.5 inch is common for Sony Cyber shot cameras and domestic camcorders, so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to what is inside this unit. Most of the 3.5 inch are 1/4 res HD. Certainly the price would indicte that they have not achieved a big improvement in resolution and the press releases have not mentioned high resolutiona s one of its features.

The original B&W viewfinder has around 600 lines when new and is scanned at 1080i.
Apparently "they" can't pack phosphors small enough onto the face of the tube for us to see more than 600 lines or so.
The 3 inch colour viewfinder is lower res than the black and white in my opinion.
But its form factor is cool with a removable monocular, that reveals the colour display for camera assistant to see.
It would seem that the new viewfinder will follow this form factor.
It will be quite chunky if this is the case.
The accuscene uses flat screen ferro-electric liquid crystal on silicon microdisplay with proprietory processing to deliver 720p lines. It has excellent picture and feature set for the pro camera operator.
A two piece unit was planned but is not yet available. Thier home page has an email support link and nothing else at the moment.....

$8k for a display that (probably) comes as standard in a

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 19, 2007 at 9:00:01 am

Paul

I think you might be thinking of Michael Bravin, from Band Pro.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on Apr 20, 2007 at 12:48:11 am

For Steve Wargo:

Hi Steve, you are correct. I was thinking of Michael Bravin, from Band Pro.

Hey, did RED Digital Cinema purchase the Accuscene company?

-Paul

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Apr 20, 2007 at 3:05:30 am

The fellow who owned Accuscene now works for Red, having given up his plans to build a company around the color viewfinder he created. I own one of his viewfinders and spoke with him at the Red booth (I'm sorry but I forget his name). Anyway he told me that he concluded that he could not make a living making third party color viewfinders (even though his model is considerably better and sharper than the Sony version) and that Red made him an offer he couldn't refuse! The remaining viewfinders and spare parts are at BandPro where most of the units that were sold came from, so it's only logical that they assume the support role for those few units in the field.

JS

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Mar 24, 2007 at 9:35:08 pm

No it said 790 on the Sony Press Release. It could be a new camera. I can't see how they would let a model number typo go through to publishing.

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 25, 2007 at 7:32:12 am

I'm sure they wouldn't give a camera a model number they have already used!

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
on Apr 13, 2007 at 9:17:20 pm

I thought AccuScenes were 1080 lines....

????

Might be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time.

Alex

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez, Sony Electronics
on May 3, 2007 at 3:54:33 pm

In a nutshell the HDW-790 is a new HDCAM camcorder aimed at the TV production market. Its design is based on the HDW-F900R with which it shares the tooling, signal processing and accessories/ functionality except for: no 24P, the European 1080 50i model supports 25P. You can learn more about this camera at the following URL:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10014/studioPortableI...

Juan Martinez

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 13, 2007 at 9:58:53 am

Calling it a 790 is a strange move that could lead to some confusion! Sounds like a great camera though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]