FORUMS: list search recent posts

F-23 when are they available and HOW much

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobbygiles
F-23 when are they available and HOW much
on Dec 18, 2006 at 5:55:13 pm

SO will this camera replace the 900 or will it just be the best HD camera in the world or both? Any imput is appreciated. I WANT ONE NOW!

P.S. Any donatations welcomed.

Thanks Bobby

Return to posts index

Bill Crawford
Re: F-23 when are they available and HOW much
on Dec 19, 2006 at 1:44:00 am

Just like expensive homes and cars - if you have to ask - you can't afford it! ;)

If I remember correctly the scuttlebutt was North of 200K for the camera and deck. Not your typical production company camera. Pretty much limited to the Hollywood folks or rental houses.

It's great to dream isn't it?

Bill

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
What?????
on Dec 19, 2006 at 7:23:41 am

So what in the world is an F-23? I know that I slept in on Sunday but I didn't think I missed something big.

And how about that F-35?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Oops
on Dec 19, 2006 at 7:26:02 am

Here it is, the F-35.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
Re: Oops
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:00:12 pm

Hi Steve,

The F23 camera is what used to be called the ng-23 at NAB2006. This camera head+SRW1 recorder was demonstrated at the CineAlta night event, in the lounge where you sat before going into the main event. It was also shown behind a glass box in the main Sony exhibit area.

The nice thing about the camera head is that, according to those in the know, it is an f11 at 2000 Lux at 0dB gain design, and uses a 14-bit A/D circuit. It also has by default some really nice gamma & color presets. The best thing about it is that the SRW1 actually attaches to the body of the camera head, either from the top or behind making it very convenient for those who dislike to attach a cable between the head and the recorder.

Since the SRW1 records at 10-bit, it will probably become the camera of choice for those who like 10-bit video technology.

The F23 is not designed as a shoulder mount EFP camcorder. It was designed to always be used with a tripod or other support. I'm sure somebody will try to use the camera head as an EFP/ENG shoulder mount camera (sending the images via a cable back to the SRW1 recorder, which an assistant will probably carry) but, a shoulder mount for the camera head was not considered as part of the design.

The F23 setup was designed to be a 4:4:4 design (only up to 30p) but I guess some folks will use the 4:2:2 setup as it allows you to record up to 60p.

Here's the link to the Sony press release.

-Paul

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: Oops
on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:56:19 pm

[Paul Thurston] "I'm sure somebody will try to use the camera head as an EFP/ENG shoulder mount camera (sending the images via a cable back to the SRW1 recorder, which an assistant will probably carry) but, a shoulder mount for the camera head was not considered as part of the design.

It's designed for productions and DPs who would otherwise want an F900, but it's a step up and addresses a lot of the issues film DPs have with the traditional ENG-style video camera body. It will be used handheld quite a bit, but in short bursts for film-style shooting...not all day long shoulder work, which I'll assume is what you meant.

The shoulder pad issue I'm sure will be handled in much the same manner as every other film camera on earth...a pad that slides onto the baseplate mech, or if it wasn't ordered from the rental house, a folded towel on the shoulder!

This camera is VERY similar in physical design to the Panavision Genesis, except with 2/3" chips. Keep in mind the Genesis's manufacturing is handled by Sony.

[Paul Thurston] The F23 setup was designed to be a 4:4:4 design (only up to 30p) but I guess some folks will use the 4:2:2 setup as it allows you to record up to 60p."

The Genesis has the same choices. Not to over generalize, but the people shooting for SD/HD broadcast seem to go with single link mode, the people working for film out choose dual-link 4:4:4 mode.

New website, new work online:
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

David Issko
Re: F-23 when are they available and HOW much
on Dec 20, 2006 at 5:06:27 am

Very soon,
May 2007!!! Not so very soon
Top of the top of the line camera.

Return to posts index

bullpup
No less than $300 million, IF you could buy one!
on Dec 22, 2006 at 2:26:01 am

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-23-ec94-42454-32.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]