FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change preset kelvin

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redflag
Change preset kelvin
on Mar 12, 2006 at 9:12:17 am

As the F900 doesnt have a menu page to change the preset white kelvin, can anyone tell me an equivalent menu page,would it be RGB gain?

I know best done in post,but I found with the Digibeta 790 it was quite a convenient and quick way to just warm or blue a shot,when you were sure that would be the way you would go.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel E
Re: Change preset kelvin
on Mar 19, 2006 at 11:08:47 pm

Can't help you with changing the Kelvin Preset but I would be very careful changing the RGB gain. The feature of changing the preset color temperature is not on every Sony camera although it is a dandy one. I haven't seen anything like it on the F900.

Return to posts index

Redflag
on Mar 20, 2006 at 10:58:26 am

Thanks for your answer.I guess the logic was anything being shot with the F900 would have a colourist on the pay roll.Or a fiendish plot by the engineers to keep the camera people from screwing around with their circuitry !

Return to posts index

Bruce Schultz
on Mar 22, 2006 at 7:03:19 pm

Although I know of no way to "reset" the preset, you can easily warm up a tungsten picture by going to the P10 (paint #10) menu and setting the Red channel -G value at +20 and the -B value at +20, then save that as a scene file to very easily call up in a few seconds. I keep this at SF#5 on my F900 and use it whenever a warm up is needed.

One should never underestimate the power of the F900 menu system, it is truly amazing in it's range of adjustments. If one studies and learns these menus, input by colorists can be minimized or eliminated. In fact, I've not had any color correction problems with F900 footage that couldn't be easily massaged by a good editor using FCP or Avid color correction tools.

Bruce Schultz

Return to posts index

cow
Daniel E
on Mar 22, 2006 at 10:08:48 pm

Bruce,
I think you are adjusting the color matrix with those settings. If those are the numbers you have checked out and they work for you that is great. Storing them is also great. Have you ever had a shot where the look was not quite what you wanted in the field?
The kelvin dial adjustment on some of the cameras is another way to reach a look. What I like about it is you can change the white balance of the camera overall in 100K increments and toggle between many different small adjustments. It is hard to store that many presets. It works in tungsten and daylight and anywhere between.
Yes, the F900 has very powerful adjustments inside to create looks. I just like to keep things simpler for some things and tricking the white balance in a lot of situations is harder than dialing in a specific color temp.
The F900 was pretty much designed before Sony added this feature on some of the cameras. Maybe they will include it on the new one coming out.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]