FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony, whats next

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Skinner
Sony, whats next
on Dec 13, 2005 at 5:39:29 am

The 900 is showing it's age. Any rumors, thoughts from the crystal ball on what is next from Sony on the HD Camcorder front. How about a tape based camera that records full raster 1920 x 1080 4:2:2 mpeg 4.....

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
Re: Sony, whats next
on Dec 15, 2005 at 4:42:26 am

You know what,

I bet there are a couple of people here that know this answer, yet will not disclose any of this data to us.

For the longest time I could not figure out why Sony would not allow its engineers to talk here, or for that matter letting us suggest improvements to many of their designs.

Well, as it turned out, Sony does ask Americans their opinion about certain products. We just never hear about it much because these are mostly events that have to do with people that authorized, at some moment, the purchase of LOTS OF STUFF.

So, what will we see next NAB...

Haven

Return to posts index

Bill Skinner
on Dec 16, 2005 at 3:07:39 pm

Well I got my answer today from Sony. A new 900 will be out this summer. It is a green version, no lead, slightly smaller, DSP upgrade with time lapse. Price for the New HDW-900R will be out this Jan. But I am sure this is not news to some of you in the know...

Bill

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Dec 17, 2005 at 2:45:05 am

A HDW900R without the f would, base don current model descriptions would indicate that it cant do 23.98 or 24p. I've seen others refer to it as f900R though.
Also heard others get Genesis confused with f900.

R would stand for Ramp? but only half a ramp as it won't do slomo unless they have been keeping big secrets!
Price will be interesting.
A 14bit AD is likely.
14bit and timelapse is another small step in the right direction.

Out in Jan usually means deliveries in Jan 2007?

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

Bill Skinner
on Dec 17, 2005 at 2:52:36 am

My bad on that one, I left out the f. HDW-F900R would be correct.

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
Sony, whats next
on Dec 17, 2005 at 3:36:56 am

f900R Makes more sense in the light of recently bumping up the features on the 750 and 730 (see below) they need to keep a price and perfomance difference with f900.
Existing f900s will still be better than 750s so they are not alienating existing customers. (thats me!)

WIll be interesting to see if they go 14bit AD and if so how this would intercut with 12bit f900s.

The 730 (2001), then the 730S (2004) then at IBC 2005 there was the 730SC? (c for cinegamma)
This has now manafested itself as V2 software upgrade ( with a cinegamma curve) both for HDW 750p and HDW730S

They do fiddle with the model numbers and float ideas at trade shows for reaction or mass confusion.

Where is their 444 camera???, the HDCf950 has been discontinued...a 444 output on the HDW f900R would be very neat indeed...hand me the sonic screw driver captain...

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Dec 17, 2005 at 5:10:46 pm

Ok here is what I have heard from my sources.

Yes a new version of the F900 camcorder will be released (smaller size, built in downconverter, higher DSP bit processing). At a later time there will be another camcorder forthcoming rumors say it may be a HDCAM SR version (sorry I cannot confirm this).

Other models you may see at NAB are a 1/2 CCD camcorder with a XDCAM HD back (this camera will be a lower cost solution aimed at broadcasters).

Tony Salgado

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Dec 26, 2005 at 11:48:52 pm

[tony salgado] "Other models you may see at NAB are a 1/2 CCD camcorder with a XDCAM HD back (this camera will be a lower cost solution aimed at broadcasters)."

If what wa son show at IBC was anything to go by, this isa chaeap, but not a brilliant camera.
Lower res in P mode (they may say it is a progressive HD camcorder but it isn't a progressive ccd. (there is jiggery pokery at the camera head end)

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Dec 27, 2005 at 4:54:37 pm

Michael,

The brochure on line for the camera spells out the specs which in my opinion make this camera real lackluster in some critical items as well as image quailty considered the compression used.

It looks like there is no HDSDI output only HD analog which really blows.

If and when the GV Infinnity camera system is released I can't see why anyone would choose the Sony camera given such a difference in image quality as well as 1/2 CCD versus 2/3"

Most rental houses I have spoken to have no interest in revamping their lens inventory by adding 1/2" lenses instead of using their existing 2/3" lenses.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

jiri vrozina
on Dec 30, 2005 at 5:40:01 am

[tony salgado] "Michael,

The brochure on line for the camera spells out the specs which in my opinion make this camera real lackluster in some critical items as well as image quailty considered the compression used.

It looks like there is no HDSDI output only HD analog which really blows.

If and when the GV Infinnity camera system is released I can't see why anyone would choose the Sony camera given such a difference in image quality as well as 1/2 CCD versus 2/3"

Most rental houses I have spoken to have no interest in revamping their lens inventory by adding 1/2" lenses instead of using their existing 2/3" lenses.

Tony Salgado"

I have seen Sony's new 1/2' HD xdcam in Sydney month ago.
For the same money + lens one should be able to buy Infinity.
There is really no contest..
jiri vrozina

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Dec 30, 2005 at 12:14:59 pm

[jiri vrozina] "
I have seen Sony's new 1/2' HD xdcam in Sydney month ago.
For the same money + lens one should be able to buy Infinity.
There is really no contest.."

There is no way the Infinity camera body will be the same price point as the XDCAM HD body and then you'll have to use a 2/3 inch HD lens on the Infinity which in itself is the same price as the complete xdcam with its cheapo lens!

There is no contest because they will be different ends of the market.

If they change the specs and use a cmos on the the Infinity then it will be cheaper, but the 2/3 inch lens is likely to be 2x more expensive than a 1/2 inch lens for years to come.

Another factor to consider is that the Infinity was just a block of wood in Sept. Generation 3 of XDCAM product line is likely to launch in the next 18 months, so Infinity a 1st Generation (including new recording system) vs 3rd generation Sony.

I am in favour of the infinity concept but not going to bet the farm on a new stuff working like it says on the box.

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

jiri vrozina
on Dec 30, 2005 at 10:11:38 pm

Michael,
in March Infinity is Down Under(according our Rep).
I have got costing in front of me.
Body,including VF,will be AUS$27,000 which is about US$20,000.
Additional cost will be lenses.
Personally I find standard HD 1/2' lens on Sony waste of time.
For Sony 1/2' HD xdcam You will need to spend extra money on different lens to make most of it.
To spend about US35,000 on Infinity including the decent HD lens is not so bad.
I also think within 2 years there will be some decent HD Industrial lenses for HD Industrial Viedeo Cameras.
With that 14bit Thomson head and 10bit JPEG 2000 this is not a bad value for money camera.
Perhaps in the future with some software upgrade it might have 24,25p as well.
regards-jiri vrozina

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
Sony, whats next
on Dec 31, 2005 at 12:50:39 am

Any other spec? I guess it uses less than 1920x1080 ccds for the money?

March delivery would make life very interesting!

Ron, is it time for an Infinity Forum or should we file it under the HD high end forum...

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

jiri vrozina
on Dec 31, 2005 at 6:07:47 am

[Michael Brennan] "I guess it uses less than 1920x1080 ccds for the money?"

Michael,
when it comes to Thomson CCDs (as You know),Sony is no match!
Have a very good Year 2006.
Regards-jiri vrozina

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Dec 31, 2005 at 5:36:57 pm

Michael,

From what I have heard the camera will employ IT CCD's not Fit or FT.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 8, 2006 at 10:31:17 am

They will need Avid and FCP to support JPEG 2000 before they start to make any serious sales, so far there is no word on that, but it should be an interesting NAB!

Steve Connor
Cardinal HD

Please fill in your profile - it helps US to help YOU!

Return to posts index

Starman
on Feb 17, 2006 at 8:44:16 am

GV Infinity = Iomega (can you say Zip drive click of death?) + Wavelet (can you say ImMix TurboCube?) =
Sorry, my calculator just blew up.

Daniel Startek
Pscan Production Services

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]