FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Laptop
on Oct 31, 2017 at 8:16:08 pm

We are a mac shop but with streaming and everything we ask a laptop to do what is a great bulletproof platform for streaming? Would like an Ethernet port for a direct cable connection to the network but the new laptops require a dongle....either USB or Thunderboldt.

Also, if you use a laptop, do you also use a second monitor for Wirecast windows, Little Snitch, the live feed etc? Curious if the second screen is the answer or a second laptop like a Macbook Air.

Finally horsepower...if we went with an older MacbookPro that has an Ethernet port would we sacrifice processing power for streaming and encoding etc?

Go!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Laptop
on Oct 31, 2017 at 9:59:33 pm

We use MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.

Setup 1 for stream only (way too much lag to imag)
Wirecast 6, 2 BM miniRecorders SDI, USB3 to ethernet, encoding 2 720p streams (fb & yt), and local .mov record. Wirecast also does the video roll-ins & graphics. Still has processing overhead available. Here's a pic.

Setup 2 for imag & stream
As above, but output a traditional switcher with embedded audio SDI to the wirecast laptop. The streamed show you can then overlay logos, or squeeze back the show, add a live cam for standup interviews, roll in some other content when the live event get boring - like looping PPT during dinner. Sometimes I'll add a focusrite scarlet USB (either directly to laptop or thru the USB3 ethernet adapter that adds 3 ports) to grab a mix-minus from the soundboard. That way I don't have a risk of copyrighted music going out and someone else monetizing.

Usually just work on the laptop screen and the whole thing is and octopus/spaghetti pile. Hmm... maybe I should cut some holes in the top of a roadcase to hide all that mess.

Steve

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 31, 2017 at 10:57:43 pm

[Steve Kownacki] "Wirecast 6, 2 BM miniRecorders SDI, USB3 to ethernet, encoding 2 720p streams (fb & yt), and local .mov record. Wirecast also does the video roll-ins & graphics. Still has processing overhead available. Here's a pic."

Since later versions of Wirecast (now at version 8.1) can use Apple H.264 (Intel QuickSync) you can get even more overhead.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 31, 2017 at 11:01:02 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Also, if you use a laptop, do you also use a second monitor for Wirecast windows, Little Snitch, the live feed etc? Curious if the second screen is the answer or a second laptop like a Macbook Air."

I use a second computer to monitor the stream destination. I'd avoid using things like Little Snitch when streaming.
Keep in mind the CPU is being used by everything you have running so I dedicate my on location streaming computer to that task alone unless I'm bringing in a guest by Skype. When I do that I use a second monitor and capture that. Wirecast 8.x with Rendezvous may be an alternative to Skype and the second screen but there's still some kinks to be worked out.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 1, 2017 at 1:55:15 am

All in all, LOTS of testing before a gig with the exact setup you plan on using. We even have a startup/power up routine, and which applications you start in what order. Turn off everything you don't need including virus protection. Anything to help success.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]